Needed: 2x3 pin shrouded header

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

thebeardedone

Needed: 2x3 pin shrouded header

Post by thebeardedone »

Hi,

I am after a couple of these. I have been looking for ages for a UK supplier but I cannot find one. Do you know of any or have a couple spare you may sell? They are needed for an 6 pin ISP plug for my augmented programming board, based on the stripduino.

Regards,
Sam
olivers

Post by olivers »

They are called 6 way idc header. Had a look and Maplins do 8 ways as do ebay, can't see 6 ways.

Could always use an 8 way and ignore 2 pins
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

I have found the 2x3 pin version in the UK but it has the wrong pitch, which is a real PITA. If push comes to shove I will just used some of the pin strips in this 2x3 formation, I just thought the casing looked nice and tidy. :roll:

You say that I could use a 2x5 version but would the "nipple" on the connector not sit in the wrong place?
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Sam, you can get these from Farnell in the UK (and probably from CPC - owned by Farnell now). Probably also RS Components.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Sam, you can get these from Farnell in the UK (and probably from CPC - owned by Farnell now). Probably also RS Components.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

Cheers, Gary.

They are 66p each on Farnell, so I will look for somewhere cheaper first being the tight-wad that I am.

Regards,
Sam
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

66p is actually a pretty good price I think.

The problem with the 6-way connectors is that they are not too common. If you are building both the programmer and target yourself, you can use whatever connector you like. The 10-way IDC plugs and sockets are much easier to find. If you have a commercial programmer you could always make an adapter from 6 to 10 pins. Just leave the unused pins disconnected or connect to 0V.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

Yeah, after further searches, 66p is quite reasonable, but I will be ordering a programmer from Pololu in the next few weeks so I'll order a few in then but at least I know that Farnell do them for future requirements.

I really need to use the 6 pin IDC as the space taken up needs to be kept to a bare minimum. I think it's crazy that the 6 pin styles ones aren't more readily available. A niche in the market here, I think.

I may start a small webstore for hard to get bits :P
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

You can always use ordinary pin headers (without the shroud), but then you do have to be careful that you plug the programmer in the right way round every time!

Suitable dual-row headers headers are available in break-off strips of 2x36 ways, enough for 6 headers, for probably around ?2 or so. Should be available from Maplin etc, definitely from Farnell/RS.

If you do decide to use the unshrouded headers and lay out your own PCB, remember that the plug is (quite a bit) bigger than the header so leave some space around the header (I learnt this one the hard way!)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

BeligerAnt wrote:You can always use ordinary pin headers (without the shroud), but then you do have to be careful that you plug the programmer in the right way round every time!

Suitable dual-row headers headers are available in break-off strips of 2x36 ways, enough for 6 headers, for probably around ?2 or so. Should be available from Maplin etc, definitely from Farnell/RS.

If you do decide to use the unshrouded headers and lay out your own PCB, remember that the plug is (quite a bit) bigger than the header so leave some space around the header (I learnt this one the hard way!)
Thanks for the advice, Gary. It was in my original plan to just use plain ol' pin headers but I thought I may as well do a search for the shrouded type. I think I will purchase quite a few so that I have them to hand all the time and if any other members need any then I can supply them easily.

Regards,
Sam