Brushless Motors

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

alasdair

Brushless Motors

Post by alasdair »

Does anyone have any reccomendations on antweight brushless spinner motors?
James

Post by James »

Antipathy uses one of theese http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_i ... ts_id=1416 and it seems to have more than enough power

I'm sure this had beed discussed on the forum before, it might be worth a look around :)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

There are a bewildering number of brushless motors about these days.
I think the discussion James is refering to is in the Questions and Answers section http://www.robotwars101.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1251
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Thanks james. :D They are good. What motor does combatant use peter?
(also, if other people are reading, please post what motors you use for spinners!) :D
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It was call an Airpower 300XT but it is obsolete now.
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Sorry for being completely ignorant on the subject but what's a brushless motor?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

You're not completely ignorant, it confused me at first :P

Most motors you'll be familiar with are 'brushed' motors - they use physical contacts (brushes) pressing against the commutator of the motor to supply power, and because the commutator is segmented the current direction is reversed automatically when the segments change, which keeps the motor turning (or something like that :P). They have two wires coming from them and you can make them spin just by connecting them to battery terminals.

'Brushless' motors don't have physical contacts, they are designed just with three power wires going to different parts of the wound wire in the motor - a brushless motor controller can sense through the wires where the motor is at in its rotation and change the direction of current flow through each are to keep the motor spinning - they won't work if you just connect the wires up to a battery. They can be controlled more precisely than brushed motors so they're used quite a lot in computers and CD players where you need precise positioning and speed, and because they can spin faster and output more power for their weight than brushed motors they're used quite a lot in model aircraft propellers (and antweight spinning weapons, hehe)

The practical difference is that brushless motors are generally more powerful but require a brushless speed controller to work, so overall they cost more.

Brushless and brushed motors and speedos generally can't be interchanged either, if they can I was completely unaware of it :P

Hope all that helps.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Ive now found, that i need really flat motors. About 1cm long ideally. :D
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

I dont want to reveal my master plan for my new robot truant :D , but there are 2 solutions to my problem that are obvious.

1# I try to find a brushless motor (for a spinner, that is your only clue! :D ) that is around 1cm-15mm long (those ones you posted james are excellent, but i cant help remembering antipathy vs mantis, where i stopped your spinner in its tracks... :lol:).

2# I try to find some wheels that are ideally 35mm in diameter, while being quite thick for traction...

Help please! :cry:
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I don't know about the motor but these wheels are 3.8 cm in diameter. You'll need to put traction on it so it's more like 3.9 cm which come to think about it is 4mm more that you asked for so I don't know why I bothered mentioning them. :roll:

http://www.technobots.co.uk/acatalog/Po ... heels.html
(the second one)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.