RW101 - help requested

Plug your website here

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

petec

RW101 - help requested

Post by petec »

As many of you know, as well as this forum, there is actually a website at robotwars101.org. Those who have been around a few years will know that the website has been in gradual decline over the last three years due to other pressures on my time. As a result, a lot of the editorial work has slipped or even disappeared.

Well, finally I've realised I can't catch up without some help, so if anyone would like to provide some time to the site - either a little bit of help or a significant investment - please leave me a message here or contact me at robotwars101@lineone.net .

The kind of tasks I'm looking for are editorial data entry (large amounts of data and pictures on Battlebots, RW, ants and feathers missing), updates of robot profiles, checking links and also possibly a revamp of some sections of the site. For a lot of the jobs, no or little experience of HTML is required. All work will be subject to me checking it.

As a not for profit org, I can't offer to pay anyone for their time, although they would be welcome to DVD's of events old and new.
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Got absolutely no experience of web maintanence Pete, but plenty of free time and will. If you can use me, count me in.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I can help Pete, I've done loads of "real" web sites (e.g maidenerlegh.com) and I can manage a bit of Javascript and Perl. and use Dreamweaver and Frontpage. I also maintain a phpbb forum so let me know whatever you want done.

Simon
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

and use Dreamweaver and Frontpage. I also maintain a phpbb forum so let me know whatever you want done.
Frontpage!? H-ll with frontpage, I do only pure HTML-Codes :)
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Well fair enough mate, and I wrote a couple of sites with notepad, and I know you're being a little tounge-in-cheek, but how long would you say it would take you to write http://maidenerlegh.comcoding in HTML only?

Simon
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Well, give a year: 6 Months to read all those god dammit guides I can find, 5 months to come up with that I can see the codes from the site via IE, 5 minutes to realize it dosen't work. Half the time that is left to ask freinds that dosent know a sh-t of HTML becuase the use geocities and frontpage! And rest of the time to think out a way to confess and still keep my dignity :)

PS: I havent used html for a long time now, a year since I did a site, and half a year I updated my old site. (wich I still link to in my profile)

PS: Is it just me, or does this forum have a "anti-bad word" program? I tried to write "sh't" (with an i) and the forum changed it to "sausage"!
Swedish style!
petec

Post by petec »

:-) - ah, someone finally noticed.....yup, all your favorite words get changed....
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
petec

Post by petec »

Simon/Dave thanks for the offers. I'll sort out a schedule of things that needs to be done and be in touch with you. I think initial tasks may be things like checking and updating links and pictures for robots and adding results. I've got tools that allow updating of some things, such as battle data, robot profiles, etc so you don't need lots of knowledge.

Flippt, were you volunteering or just commenting on HTML - I wasn't clear.
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

It all depends. If you need a server going for 24/7 I got one running at home, but due a problem with internet connection I cant ensure a fully functional server....
Swedish style!
petec

Post by petec »

No, I've got a hosting deal, thanks which I would say offers great up time...but they just wrote to me to say they are going to upgrade the systems.....:-)
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com