Building a heavy

All things HEAV-VY!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

the wire is flux cored so as you weld a pool of flux stops the air getting in. Thats the most tec discription i can give from the top of my head
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

That is correct. And even though it is possible to make a decent weld with this it is not as strong as a MIG weld would be with gas. There are still a lot of inpurities going in the weld with gasless wire.

But for most applications it will do nicely.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

u see, i did not know that :/
Are you sure about that because out of all the web sites, all the tutorials, I have never heard, gas welds are stronger then gasless. I expected all the flux to be visable and had to be brushed off. After I created a few weld pools I cut one in half to see a cross section. It looked like a clean weld with the metal. No impurities that I can see.
I did a strength test as well. I welded two 3mm sheets together and saw which would break first. The metal broke, which was a victory to my welding.
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Yes i am sure about that.

That you dont see flux is because most of it avaporates during the weld. its the fume that shields your weld.

That the metal breaks is quite normal. breaks usually occur right next to the weld, not the weld itself.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
maddox

Post by maddox »

Flux cored welding wire has the advantages of a mig, without the cost of the shield gas.
But it has the disadvantages of old fashioned stick welding. To much that can go wrong when the wrong wire feed or amps are chosen. Gas or flux inclusions, to deep or to shallow burn in and such.

I myself am spoiled and prefer TIG welding for everything except the thickest pieces. But then I can garanty the weld won't give.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

OK, I'll wait for Marco to update it all officially but I just want to point out one thing on the heavy: It works! Yey!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

Yep as dave said it works.
We did a good amount of work yesterday.
Sumerising yesterdays build diary.

I fixed the relay box (how we are having speed controlle of the robot)
Dave worked on the electronics
We then went out and traveled to the nearest model shop for some fail safes.
We then troopered through the evening and I finished the top panel and dave did all teh wiring.
We fited the relay box and the rc box. We noticed that the fail safes will failsafe once below 4v. So we didnt feel comfortable that our current battery pack is only 4.8 volts and ancient.
So we shoved a lith pack of mine which dave destroyed once we brough it down from my flat on teh second floor.

pic and vid will be uploaded once i come back from football
Marco
maddox

Post by maddox »

Low powerTech Tanto
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

Build diary - out the window
Heh well over the past couple of weeks we have done a lot. I however had a lot of work to do so I have not been able to keep up with what exacly we have done but we are now finished.

Dave wired it all up. We had a few problems with the led but we figured it all out. We also grabbed a 6volt pack because the fail safes kick in once under 4 volts so to be safe then sorry.

We sorted out the top pannel. We used a large peice of polycarb which attached to the body. Funny enough its the only peice of decent armour on the thing.
We added some reinforcment angle to the front. 5mil thick steel angle. Good stuff.
Casters have completly had it after we rode it round. We think it will hold up at the event but we arnt entirely sure. It still runs round fine on tarmac but we know that the Roaming Robots arena is a different story.
We painted the thing green and branded it with its name.
We also had an ongoing issue with that I couldnt find all the charging equipment in the mess of my room. Found it yesterday and we are fully charge for Aylesbury. All thats left is the cradel. Which shoud be easy.
Pics and vids to follow
On to aylesbury