What have Heavyweight builders got against Antweights?

All things HEAV-VY!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Terror

What have Heavyweight builders got against Antweights?

Post by Team Terror »

I was at a Roaming Robots show in Cardiff recently with my antweights. For some reason, some of the heavyweight builders and organisers look down on antweights, and seem to regard them as pests, an irritation and not even a proper weight class. In fact, the organisers kept telling me to move my antweight arena to different places in the room :evil: I want to know what the heavyweight roboteers have against the antweight division?
BTW, not all heavyweight builders dislike antweights, some like them, and some are indifferent, but I just think it's a little unfair how antweights are regarded at some heavyweight events.
Does anyone agree? or is it just me?
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Yes, you're right Jack, it's just a few idiots, just try to ignore them.

I try to stick with Robots Live, I don't know what it is about Roaming Robots, but I have a harder time at their shows as an antweight competitor, whereas Robots Live "get it" and couldn't be more helpful.

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I don't think these shows are really designed for antweights. They are about spectical and the ants just don't cut it next to the bigger weights. They are only there as an entertaining side show really. I don't think the builders really have anything against them, but it can be a tad irritating if someone is taking up pit space for ants when the heavyweight builders are struggling for room. Ants have their place outside of the other weight catagories.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Dave is right, the main focus of both Roaming Robots and Robots Live are the heavyweights and the feathers although recently ants have become more involved with the shows then they have been recently.

At a couple of the recent RR events the ants have been shown on the big screens and its the same with RL.

I think that Dave Weston has had a good idea building a mini RR arena, this will probably get the ants noticed a bit more at their events.

Also I think that there are only a couple of HW builders who do not like ants, there are quite a few with ants of there own and I think interest is growing so the situation can only get better.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

We need the heavy/feather builders who own ants to make the effort to come to an AWS really, and experience a proper ant event, rather than just using them in the spare time at bigger events. Some of the ones I've seen kicking about are potential AWS champions if they turned up to compete.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

I dont know about others but I do plan to come along to an AWS as soon as I have a decent antweight which is fully within the rules (Ant Awe cant compete due to the metal armour rule)- soon enough though I should have another ant or two running so then hopefully I will be able to enter but for now I will just have to take it along to events to run on the side.

I really enjoyed it when Simon ran a Reading Robot Club event at robots live last year, if we could do a few more events like that then it would be great!
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Will, there'll be one point where you're heavy, feather and ant champ all at once. You're getting too good my friend, lol. :D
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Me? Nothing.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Next time Robots Live come to Reading you can pretty much guarantee that I'll try to run another Reading Robot Club, and this time I'll bring my stage lights.

Simon
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

I do have a Roaming Robots trophy for both antweight and featherweight European champion, but that event was co-hosted by the GRA.

http://rw.bugs.nl/media/album/view.php? ... I2Ni5KUEc=

the Liverpool-Newark tour 2004... ah... the memories...