Peter Waller Nano Adventures

If Fleaweights are just too big...

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rapidrory

Re: Peter Waller Nano Adventures

Post by Rapidrory »

Yeah, i'm very impressed you got all that in weight; It puts nibble to shame! I know I say this a lot about your robots, but they're some of the few that properly scare me :P
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I decided to remake the blade carrier in fibreglass to prevent a repeat of it breaking.
Here it is in 6mm thick glass sheet which has enabled me to reduce the diameter of the hub to make the blade stick out more.
The extra 1.5 gms it weighs brings it nicely to 24.9 gms overall and should give it a bit more bite.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

TEN TO THE MINUS NINE is now sprorting a 0.75mm polycarb scoop with wrap around sides to try and avoid the sort of damage Nibble inflicted.
Just noticed its only 19.1 gms so I might try adding some balast if I can do it without upseting the self righting ability.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Added almost 6 gms of brass to the bottom which improved the self righting and grip.
Here it is in action no suprise that with my driving it took 4 attempts to get it right.
http://youtu.be/zWbqh-EATt8
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

that spinner looks propper frightening. do you think it'll be able to penitrate 1mm HDPE?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Sorry Hogi I missed your post.
I don't think it will go through much armour because the robots have such low weights they will tend to be pushed away.
This will apply to 1 billionth as well.
Had a quick play with Rory's paperclip crankshafts and although tthe seem very good I can't get them in the 50 mm with the double motorgearbox units.
Having a look at 3D printed cranks now.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Yeah, I've had to drop down to dual cams and the 2nd gen motors to get it in width.. even so it only just fits...

Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

The cube limit is the thing that puts me off nanos. Where I think it helps in the ant and fleaweight class to limit anything becoming too sizeable, and to fire creativity, the nano one is so small that I think we lose a lot of that, causing all the nanos to look pretty similar to each other. Having struggled to get my sponge robot going because the parts were so fiddly (I posted a video of it on Facebook but not here), I cant imagine how frustrated I'd get trying to get something to fit in a 2" cube. Neither of my current attempts at nanos fit in the cube.
Not to say it shouldn't be, I know its part of the challenge, but it does seem to put the kaibosch on some fun ideas.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

We did debate upping the limit when originally working out the rules, but tbh I haven't actually found it too much of a problem until now; some of my nanos practically rattle round the cube. I think the main reason all my Nanos look similar is that they all use milk bottle as armour; they're all completely different shapes and configurations otherwise (vertical spinner, undercutter, forked lifter, and 4wd flipper).
It's always been the weight I've struggled with, as trying to get good weapons and drive in under 25g can prove tricky... but I've almost got enough to make my own Lemmings team now, so it's probably a good thing that something's holding me back :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Hogi

Post by Hogi »

i think my nanoweight should just about fit in the cube but it isn't likely to be very good at actually fighting other competitive nanos. it seems to be rather good as a cluster partner though provided the lipo cell holds out for the whole three minutes ( i chose armour over a weapon for this purpose. )
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)