Nanoweight Robots

If Fleaweights are just too big...

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

AntRoboteer

Re: Nanoweight Robots

Post by AntRoboteer »

"AntRoboteer; that's pretty much the setup I had in Smidge; just two motor tips running on the ground. It'll be quick and tricky to control, but hilarious at the same time so please build it! :)"

I will try! Why did I not see that before on Smidge - I even saw it in person and didn't notice! I'm thinking laminate pouches and double sided tape for my armour (but then again, that is exactly what my full antweights use) to keep the weight down. I don't mind speed as I probably won't even be able to control a slow one anyway and besides, it will be great fun! I could also cluster it with another robot of mine - whoopee!!! Solved two problems just there. Now, jut the weight. I think it will be possible with a NiMH - if I am able to manage it, it will be the only one in its weight class which will be knida nice! Should weigh around 24g so I might be able to fit a rollcage as well for self righting!
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Whatever you come up with it'll probably still be more controllable than smidge (which only really had on or off as a control :L).

If it's too fast you could always try putting a ~47 ohm resistor between one of the motor wires and the servo board; should drop the motor speed a bit..
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

That's a great idea! Thanks for all your support! I really hope I can join you with my creation at the next AWS. Seeing as at Christmas I should be getting a new transmitter, I shall bind it and any other clusterable (if that's a word) robots to my old one (as I am definitely not getting rid of that) so that I can use my own cluster partners which should be awesome. I am hoping to cluster this with some almost antweight (say, 25g off the weight limit!) in order to make them clusters. I really cannot wait until my Rx arrives!
Last edited by AntRoboteer on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

nearly antweight and tiny robot clusters tend to be a lot more successful than flea and flea clusters. i've just built one myself. i think if i build a nanoweight it'll take over the hexbug's position in my cluster.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Ok, so I wanted to spice 'lift-a-little' up a bit, though I fear it may have made it worse...

It all works... just the saw blade I used is reealy blunt so does absolutely nout to even the most fragile of tires :L

May have to try agai with something else :roll:
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

haz

Post by haz »

Lol I was eyeing up some saw blades with the aim to do the same thing. What motor did you use?
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Same drive for the spinner used on 'Gigantic Death Spinner'; a dismantled cheap micro helicopter with a hacked servo board as the ESC.

Who knows, it might be an effective weapon if it was even slightly sharp :roll:

I'm vaguely looking at one of these to replace the helicopter drive motors https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... 000kv.html ; either that or a higher powered servo with most of the gearing removed..
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

teamocean

Post by teamocean »

We now have a 50mm cube :)

Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Beats using a ruler :P

Just checked, and the NanoTwo/Lemon Rx combo from the kits are only 5g without the motors, and that can probably be slimmed down further with some modifications to run it on 1 cell. This is fortunate as I just purchased 10 of the wormgear motors that Pete suggested (was gonna go with 5, but then I'd have one spare :roll:). Just need to make sure that they do run properly on 1 cell and job's a good'un :)
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Hogi

Post by Hogi »

is 50mm the same as 2 inches? i thought nanoweights had to fit within a 2 inch cube.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)