Proposed rule changes 2015

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules (2014)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Forum rules
* Only one rule per thread. Any deviation will be moved by the moderators.
* Keep the discussions on-topic, relevant and polite. Anything else WILL be removed by the moderators.
* If you start a new thread (to discuss a different rule) quote the existing rule in the first post so everyone knows what you're talking about.
* The existing rules (version 4.2) can be found here: http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm
Remote-Controlled Dave

Proposed rule changes 2015

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Pulling together things from other threads.

1) Proposed new size limit of 60mm cube for nanoweights. All but passed unless anyone objects.

2) Proposed enforcement of maximum fight limit being 2 mins instead of 3 for all weight categories. All but passed unless anyone objects.

3) Proposed new ruling on clusterbots. Debate open. Three options to propose.
A) Leave the rule as it is
B) Have a rule that states each botlet must be at least a certain percentage of the combined weight limit
C) Allow any clusters but remove their qualification for the 4th member of the team, meaning the rules would go back to "teams are allowed up to 4 robots but the 4th must be a walker".

Please express all opinions, though to avoid the debate spiralling out of control as usual, I'd say don't offer up any extra propositions that aren't listed here, unless you really feel they need expressing, about these proposes or other rulings, as that's the way things don't get decided.

For reference, my vote is 1) Yes 2) Yes 3) C.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Re: Proposed rule changes 2015

Post by Rapidrory »

I'd agree with 3C as it may help to reduce the number of entrants somewhat as well. The fourth team member should be more of a luxury than a given, and as has been pointed out adding a Nano to an underweight bot is all too easy these days. Walkers on the other hand will always be technically challengeing, unless of course Will releases a pre made walker kit :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

My opinion:

1)yes
2)yes
3)C
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) A but since that's not likely B (changed my mind, 'token' clusters are allowed but this keeps the incentive for proper ones).
Last edited by Shakey on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) B or C
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

1) Don't care
2) Wouldn't bother to change it as so few fights go beyond 2 minutes it won't actually save any significant time. However, it would increase the need for formal judging. This is not a contradiction! Say that currently 3 or 4 fights go the distance. Reducing the limit to 2 minutes might, say, double the number of judges' decisions required (a significant increase) but would "save" less than 10 minutes - and the saving would be reduced by the time it takes the judges to make their decision!
3) C. This seems to be the popular vote - so I wonder why I got slated for suggesting it about a year ago?
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

I would go for
1)yes
2)yes
3) B as it won't stop people like Rhys and Andy who have built specific clusters as their 4th entry
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

1) ...everyone seems to be going with Yes, so I'm not gonna stop it XD
2) No - to be entirely honest I'd rather leave length of fights up to the individual event organiser than have any time limit enshrined in the rules
3) C (I think you were just ahead of the curve Gary!)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

There'll be nothing saying they can't enter them, they just wouldn't count as a fourth team member. EPZ, Warhorses and salt and pepper are all good enough to justify being run even without the extra team slot bonus. There's already talk of limiting the teams to 3 members, so this rule would by and large have a similar effect for most people.

(also, 1) Yes, 2) Yes as 3 minute fights can get very tedious, though would need to make sure judges were sorted properly)
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Gary; a lot has changed in a year. A year ago Nanos weren't very popular and the components to make them easily weren't as well known as they are now. Things change :).
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk