Rule 2b) size limit

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules (2014)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Forum rules
* Only one rule per thread. Any deviation will be moved by the moderators.
* Keep the discussions on-topic, relevant and polite. Anything else WILL be removed by the moderators.
* If you start a new thread (to discuss a different rule) quote the existing rule in the first post so everyone knows what you're talking about.
* The existing rules (version 4.2) can be found here: http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm
EpicentrE

Re: Rule 2b) size limit

Post by EpicentrE »

I actually really like that we're debating rules a lot recently. It's something I've felt we should do more for a long time and it's nice to see. Not because I think rules should be constantly changed or updated, just that discussion is a far healthier option than "leave it alone because that's how it's always been", which appeared to be the dominant opinion until relatively recently.

It's also really good to get discussions on things that are possibly ambiguous - like the topic of this thread - concluded on the forums rather than have to have an argument at an event about whether a robot is legal or not.

That said, I of course also love logging on and seeing pictures of and information about people's creations.

I enjoy all of the posts.

Everything is awesome :).
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

So is this rule going to be enforced this way at the next AWS? If so, I've got a bit of thinking to do. Does seem logical but I have always thought the rules referred to a physical cube.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

That's a difficult question. If this is a rule we were looking to change, I think it would be most fair to not enforce it at this AWS as people would not have time to prepare. However, it is not; it is simple a misunderstanding of the intention or specifics of a previous rule. One could argue that as this requires a specific interpretation of the rules to be taken as correct in order to be allowed, it's the sort of thing that should have been asked and clarified before designing a robot with the feature. However one could also argue that because this has been allowed in previous AWSs without being raised as an issue, it would be safe to assume it would be allowed in the future also.

I'd be interested to see your scenario, and use that to help judge what kind of effect enforcing this (or not) would have on your robot. I'd also be interested in hearing other's opinions as I'm a bit on the fence about this.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

that's a point. giANT would need a catch or something to hold that big ramp underneath. i love that robot! so innovative with the rubber ramp and the big wheels are cool! :)

i too like the friendly debates hence why i am often a participant. i like to see all different viewpoints and so on. i do hope the new rules can be officially put in place soon though.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I think for the next AWS it'll be kept to what was allowed last time will be allowed this time for this, as its 3 weeks away and not really fair notice.
I'm also a bit on the fence like Scott. Ultimately, I'd like to see more ingenious solutions to the problem, but not sure that's a reason to enforce it seen as it hasn't caused an issue thus far. A big bit of folded acetate isn't exactly an automatic advantage - its extra weight, extra bulk and is often got under anyway as its more prone to knicks and kinks.

However I do think that the rule in place may already prohibit it.

Two minds. Happy to let it lie at least for now though.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I definitely think that, now we've had the discussion, and come to a consensus, this interpretation shouldn't be allowed at future AWSs. However you're right in that it's too short notice to enforce it for this one as it's been allowed in the past.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Might be worth doing a quick survey of the bots at the AWS to see how many actually use it. If its just a couple, then enforcing it from the next one will be easy to initiate.

Acetate (and similar) does need kept an eye on though. It has to be present at tech check, fit in the cube and weight limits without flexing (unless using expansion) and not added afterwards. In fact, every time new acetate is applied the robot should technically have to go through a check again.

Its hard to keep track of people adding it afterwards I know so its more about people being honest about it.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Yeah, i think it's gonna have to be a case of trusting people not to over do it; I regularly change my acetate during the day (though this time I'm not sure if any of my bots are gonna be running it), so if tech checks had to be done practically every time a robot enters the arena, things could get tedious :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

It used to be hilarious back in the day. I remember everyone would pass tech check then go away and attach whacking great lumps of acetate to the front before a fight. Ha, good times.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Really? I don't remember anyone doing that.