Haz's beetles.

Discuss your 1.4kg monsters here

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

haz

Haz's beetles.

Post by haz »

Hiya peoples.

Starting a new topic for my beetle builds, as the beater has had rather a radical design change and one is a totally new robot.

Looking at where Eggbeater failed last time (there was a lot to look at :oops: ) I changed my design accordingly. Its now a bit of a dominant mode/cake clone or generic drum spinner shape.
Having faster, more powerful motors before will help it not eat motors/gearboxes like the last one did and not having 80mm wheels will result in less motor death too I hope. These motors are a lot faster, and won't be having a massive overvolt to get speed out of them, like I did with the old MFA ones. They are the 12v 1000rpm motors off ebay run off 3s.
4wd (belt driven front ones) should improve the driving ability and give it a nice enough look. The frame is still nylon, but 10mm thick, probably with pockets or other lightening. The rest is a mix of thin titanium, thin aluminium and thicker aluminium. Will be pretty easy prey but then it will make a spectacular show :P Just got to keep the massive weapon pointed at the opponents.... good plan that :roll:
Weapon felt nicely powerful in the last version but lacked omph. Felt a bit slow. will change the gearing from 3:1 to about 1.5:1 or even 1:1. Changing to a long can 28mm outrunner with a bumload of kv, torque and power may happen.

Over the last few days I've been piddling around with the idea of a lifter. Big ass servo, super legit 4wd with more 1000rpm ebay motors.
Pushed parts around in "CAD" (i.e. sketchup) and got a shape I like. Similar to Eggbeater because coolness and because it saves money on materials lol. 10mm nylon frame, 1mm titanium, 10mm and 5mm aluminium. Probably some chopping board/HDPE keep away plates somewhere. Still got a lot of work to do here, like figure out servo placement and linkages etc (using a motor is a possibility)
ATM planning to run 3s in the robot, could up it to 4 but space is an issue. Wonder if the 10a botbitz would be happy with 4 motors?
Got wedges/skirts to add to the lifter. I know it will be mostly spinner fodder. Building it for the challenge and because I really like the look over srs bidness winning robut.

Hope to have both running at Whitwick. Will stick build pics up as and when they happen.

Cheers. Haz.
haz

Re: Haz's beetles.

Post by haz »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tgOVf0m ... e=youtu.be

Got the frame started, pretty pleased so far. Have yet to weigh anything.

Harry
haz

Post by haz »

Here is the new version before I worked on it today. Frame is 10mm chopping board (I know, a bad idea but I can't really afford different yet) the motors are 1000rpm ones from ebay. The pulleys are custom made by Ellis. The "belts" in the picture are hair bands because I didn't have anything else to hand.

Here is a untouched pulley next to the one I milled a hex onto. Reason for doing this is so it can fit onto banebots wheels because the adaptors are too expensive for me. It also has a grubscrew in it to hold it onto the D shaft of the motors.

Did all four and made up some belts. The stuff is basically O ring material but I cut it to length and then joined it with a soldering iron. Works well!

That's where I'm at so far. Need to get the armour made and mount and wire in the electrics.
Should be interesting to see when it's finished and see if it performs ok for a chopping board robot powered by £10 motors :)

Cheers. Harry
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

May I be the first to say that is a thing of beauty :P
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

I like it
haz

Post by haz »

Cheers guys :)
haz

Post by haz »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ALNYcV ... e=youtu.be

Made a motor mount and got it spinning up.
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

Will be interesting to see it fight, nice work
limpet

Post by limpet »

Saw it in the flesh at Whitwick, looks very promising.
–-----------------------------

For AntFreeze
https://www.facebook.com/AntFreeze/

For my robots etc.
https://www.facebook.com/13Robotics
Ants, Fleas, Beetles, Feathers & Heavies
haz

Post by haz »

Started a drive all day beetleweight today

weighs as much as the beater on the other one and even with the overkill battery its still <700g

Showing I can build sensible sized robots should I want to!

This will probably get adapted for 4 bar-ness when I get some time to tinker. Speed looks to be just over 2 m/s with the foam wheels I have planned.

Cheers!