New Rule: Handling of spinners (all robots?)

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

New Rule: Handling of spinners (all robots?)

Post by BeligerAnt »

peterwaller wrote:... I also believe that only the driver should put them into, and remove them from the arena.
They after all should know how to handle them safely and only have them selves to blame if it goes wrong.
This is very sensible and I agree in principle, but I think we need to consider how we word any rule. Many arenas are built with access from only one side and a drop-off on the opposite side. This makes it very difficult to retrieve a robot unless you are tall with long arms! Simon, Dave W and I often seem to end up on retrieval duty!

I think it would be acceptable for a roboteer to directly ask someone to retrieve their robot. At least then the driver knows to leave the controls alone whilst the robot is being handled!

This point, along with other safety-related rules, really needs to be made clear by the event organiser at the start of the event. Covers on blades come to mind...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: New Rule: Handling of spinners (all robots?)

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

We could have "only the driver or an experienced roboteer/event organiser should handle spinners" or something like that? This would include any of us who know what they're doing.
Or just do it so they have to ask for permission from the driver, that works too.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The danger with "experienced roboteer" is who considers themselves experienced, and does that mean they can safely pick up a spinner?
I think express permission from the driver is likely to be the only safe, workable solution.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
petec

Post by petec »

@Only the driver or one of the designated officals may retrieve a robot from within the arena. The driver is responsbile to ensure that their robot is in a safe condition before retrieval takes place. If the robot has active weapons, it is essential that the weapon is inactive before retrieval."

You could also state that anyone breaking any of the safety rules will immediately be excluded from the competition.
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

5c) Contestants must obey the event organiser at all times, or be disqualified.