Toshiba TB6612FNG

Discussions around autonomous, semi-automatic and intelligent robots and systems.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Toshiba TB6612FNG

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Pete W posted about his new dual motor esc. I have been looking at the dual H bridge chip which is rated at 1A per channel. I think it would be enough for a drive motor, but would it burn out if a HP motor stalled at 1.8A? or how long would it last stalled.
TEAM GEEK!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It is always difficult to predict exactly how chips will function outside there specified limits. The existing chips I use are rated at 2.8amps peak but don't quote the average current. The TB6612FNG are rated at 1.2 Amps average current and 3.2Amps peak but do have thermal shutdown which in theory will protect them. The only real way to tell is to try them. I have the new flipper built as a test bed to see how they work and if I get time to iron out what I think is a controller software problem it should be running for Reading next weekend all though only with standard motors at the moment. At only ?1.60 for a dual controller chip it is worth a try.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I just recieved a baby orangutan board from pololu, however i am having trouble with the motor control. I don't seem to be able to get anything from the motor driver chip. I have the LED running where it gets brighter when the signal from an rx gets further from the neutral.

I only picked up the AVR studio on friday, need more work on my low level coding to get it to work as a speed controller.
TEAM GEEK!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I can send you the code in assembler for LowBlow if you like that is an ATMEGA48 processor but uses different speed controller. The code is a bit fragmented with sections commented out which I never quite got round to tidying up once it started working but the basic setup of the processor might be useful. The schematic for lowblow can be found on my website at http://www.antweightwars.co.uk/SumoSch.pdf
For the TB6612FNG controller you need Pulse Width Modulation on PWM, a high on Standby. CW rotation is a high on IN1 and a low on IN2 and for CCW rotation low on IN1 and high on IN2.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I have had some luck with the ATmega328p, if i get my disk for cataclysm i should have that running on a dual motor speed controller at rrc19 this weekend.
TEAM GEEK!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I fixed my software and the controller seems to work well but we will see under combat conditions on Saturday.