Unofficial Rules

Like antweights...only bigger!! (Unfortunately dead now...)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Unofficial Rules

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Unofficial Rules
Just as a starting block

1) Definitions

Shufflebot - A robot that uses legs operated by means of rotary motive force. For example, using the ends of servos arms directly as legs.

Clusterbot- A robot, which consists of two or more parts.

2) Technical Rules - Robot
a. Robots motivated by rotary motion are limited to 0.25kg (250g)
b. Robots motivated by non-rotary motion (i.e. walkers, shuffle-bots) are limited to 0.375kg (375g)
c. A robot must be capable of being contained within a 6? (152.4mm) cube prior to competition
d. A power switch or removeable link must be fitted, easily accessible and provide full shutdown.
e. Metal weapons are not permitted
f. The following weapon types are not permitted:

- Fluid based weapons (treacle guns, etc..)
- Glue or sticky pad weapons
- String or entanglement weapons
- Flame based weapons
- The use of electricity as a weapon
- Explosives based weapons
- Rotating weapons; however scalpel blades are permitted
- Presurised weapons

g. For safety purposes all weaponry must be able to be shutdown without physical intervention.
h. No metal armour
i. The following radio frequencies are acceptable: 27 MHz, 40 MHz, 418 MHz, 433-434 MHz, 868 MHz and 2.45 GHz
j. When the control transmitter is switched off, out-of-range or subject to interference the robot must cease all motion.
w. All parts of a clusterbot must enter the arena as one and then split to begin battle.
x. The total weight of all botlets together in a rolling Clusterbot must not exceed 0.25kg (250g).
y. The total weight of all botlets together in a non-rotary powered Clusterbot must not exceed 0.375kg (375g).

3) Technical Rules - Arena
a. The arena will be a raised platform 30" (762mm) square.
b. At least 50% of the arena must have a drop off area.

4) Rules of Combat

a . The maximum length of any battle will be 180 seconds (3 minutes).

b. A robot that falls off the arena has lost.
c. A robot unable to right itself after 10 seconds will have lost.
d. At any time in a fight a robot may surrender, if so they will have lost.
e. Robots may hold or pin each other for a maximum of 20 seconds. The judge will give a verbal warning at 15 seconds into any holding or pinning, for the contestants to disengage. Should they not do so within 20 seconds the battle will be stopped and the robots returned to their respective corners. The battle will recommence immediately.
f. Outside manipulation is not permitted during the contest.
g. A Clusterbot will have lost when more than 50% (by weight) of it has been eliminated.

5) Competition Guidelines

a. Robots will be weighed by scales accurate to at least +/- 1g.
b. The weight limit is judged as the 'fighting weight' entering the arena.

c. Contestants must register the possible frequencies that their controllers' use (including which crystals they have) with 'FREQUENCY CONTROL' at least 7 days before the contest.
d. Contestants must obey 'FREQUENCY CONTROL' at all times. Any contestant not obeying 'FREQUENCY CONTROL' may be disqualified.
e. All sharp edges must have protective covers outside the arena. All protective covers are to be coloured red and made clearly visible.
f. Contests must communicate in a socially acceptable way.
g. Sponsors allowed providing logo is not bigger than the robot.
h. Sponsors logos must be of decent taste.
i. All robots must be clearly labelled with their name. A Clusterbot must display its name on all parts. Robots without clear identification may be refused entry into the tournament.
m. There shall be 3 judges identified before each battle.
n. All judges shall be neutral.
o. All judges shall have equal vote.
p. If a contestant has an objection to one of the judges he shall make it clear before the match begins. It will then be down to the AWS committee to decide if the complaint is valid.

That is a modified version of the AWS v3 rules, this is not the offical super ant rules and is only a guide :wink:
TEAM GEEK!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Looks good, but I think a list of differences from the standard ant rules with which we all are (or should be!) familiar would be more useful as a discussion point. Of course there needs to be a full set of stand-alone rules eventually, but I think it woul dbe easier to think in terms of the differences from standard ants, at least to start with.

As far as I can see, the differences from standard ant rules are:

2a. Weight = 250g for rollers
2b. Weight = 375g for walkers
2c. Size = 6" (150mm?) cube

2e. No metal weapons
2f. No rotating weapons (scalpel blades are permitted)
2f. No pressurised weapons
2h. No metal armour

Please feel free to correct me if I've missed any other differences!

The only problem I can see (possibly a cut-and-paste error?) is that 2f contradicts 2e - unless you can get non-metallic scalpel blades ??? :wink:

I think "no metal weapons" is unnecessary. We don't want to water it down too much!

I think "no rotating weapons" and "no metal armour" are a good combination.

I'm undecided about pneumatic weapons. Given 250g maybe it would be possible to make a rather too destructive and frightening ram/flipper/crusher - possibly as effective as a spinning weapon?
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
paul

Post by paul »

no flame based? what?! :P

i agree, no metal weapons? thats silly/stupid, means i cant have the 6'' nail on wheles now =(

lol

metal weapons should be allowed.
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

If it is on the wheels it dosent have to be classed as a weapon, as it can selfright it self if its tipped on its side. Or am I missing something here?
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

On Gary's note, it proberly would have been a better idea for having simple guide

1. Weight = 250g for rollers
2. Weight = 375g for walkers
3. Size = 6" (150mm) cube
4. Metal weapons are permited
5. No rotating weapons (scalpel blades are permitted)
6. Pressurised weapons limited to 100psi
7. No metal armour

Just been looking at my lego pneumatics, it would be vey easy to fit the standard air tank into a super ant. Should there be rules about how much can be spent, or limit the parts to only standard parts(well that is the idea, but a NARO is not standard)
Thoughts?
TEAM GEEK!
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Particularly at superant level why are we limiting to 100psi. I have no prob with 100psi working pressure but surely you can safely build an ant in the super class with 750psi (liquid co2) in it.

I believe this for 2 reasons:
1. There are no spinners so the probability of the tank getting damaged is greatly reduced
2. With proper planning I could easily cover the gas tank with 5mm poly all the way around thus virtually impregnable.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

There are always problems with limiting cost - some people have access to expensive parts free of charge (Mortis was allegedly worth ?30,000 but the build cost was nowhere near that. Similarly 101 allegedly only cost ?1.01 to build!).

Similarly, limiting parts limits ingenuity. Why should someone be forced to use standard servos when there are many other possible solutions?

I did think about changing the way the weight limit works, say by reducing the limit to 200g plus batteries. This would probably work out around 250g for many robots, but does not allow LiPo batteries to give a huge advantage. Just a thought...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

That's interesting Gary, the antweight rules say that a robot must be weighed ready to fight, i.e. with batteries in, but possibly supers could be weighed without batteries.

Simon
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Raizor wrote:Particularly at superant level why are we limiting to 100psi. I have no prob with 100psi working pressure but surely you can safely build an ant in the super class with 750psi (liquid co2) in it.

I believe this for 2 reasons:
1. There are no spinners so the probability of the tank getting damaged is greatly reduced
2. With proper planning I could easily cover the gas tank with 5mm poly all the way around thus virtually impregnable.
This wouldn't really be cheap or suitable for newcomers though would it? And I think thats what everyone is looking for in superants.
olivers

Post by olivers »

If we are aiming this at newcomers/youngsters I'm not sure about:

scalpel blades are permitted

The last thing we want is 8 year olds running about with scalpel blades.

I'm 29 and i'm still wary of blades, get a fresh one and it will go through flesh like a chainsaw through butter (not very good at analogies)