Soapbox Racers

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Soapbox Racers

Post by peterwaller »

Here is a wheel I have bought for my latest project.
I think I must have got the decimal point in the wrong place.
suvv

Re: Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

Post by suvv »

i can see you spending a long time drilling holes in that to get it in weight ;) mutant looks awsome i really hope i dont ever have to take it on...ever
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
Max

Post by Max »

Let me guess you've now got so many robots that you are building a wheelbarrow to move them to and from the robot check in desk?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

If you are building a bigger robot, a) may the gods help us all, and b) no tracks this time? :(
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Not a robot, my Son-in-law has persuaded me to help build a SoapBox Derby vehicle for a local event. :roll:
suvv

Post by suvv »

and as soon as the derby is over he will be in the shed making it fully rc and driving around the garden
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

That's weird, Peter. I am currently building one too!!

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

That's a lot more sophisticated chassis than ours and much shinier too.
Ours is a flat bed chassis (bed frame bits ) the wheels look about the same diameter and the steering is all home made by me and a chap call Heath Robinson.
The only shiny parts are the wheels and the bike disk brakes on the rear.
I would put up some pictures but my son in law wants the design kept under wraps.
So far it has taken about 4 weeks to get a rolling chassis although the brake cables are yet to be connected to the pedal.
Is yours for a specific event, I have been suprised by how many events there are for this type of vehicle.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

I love a bit of Heath Robinson! I took the opportunity to teach myself how to weld, hence the over ambitious shape. I have been inspired by the SFVISBF, the San Francisco something illegal soap box federation videos on youtube, which I have been watching for ages. Now my son has entered us into the red bull event in London in july. We havnt heard back yet, but I thought it would be handy to have one anyway!!! If nothing else, I am glad that I can weld now (not very well.)Ours is supposed to be a 60's racing car, a la Graham Hill era, Lotus 48 kinda thing. Well, that's what we are aiming for, anyway!!

They look like great fun, some of them are unbelievable, Lotus and Bentley have some amazing carts out there.
Would love to see some pics Peter. The difficult parts are definitely the steering and brakes, but who needs those, well, maybe a little bit of steering would be handy!! :D
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

I know this is a bit hijacking the thread but do you know if they have put tickets up for the London event (I take it you are referring to the red bull hosted one at ally pally)as we have seen some on Tele and can't wait to go see them
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P