Robot Combat league

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

earthwormjim

Robot Combat league

Post by earthwormjim »

Hey,loosers.
Anyone caught this yet?
It is coming on the sci fi channel soon,but you can see the first episode here...
http://www.syfy.com/videos/Robot%20Comb ... 20Episodes
Interesting. I think its the guy who made mechadon?
Cheers, jimbo bobby pants.
EpicentrE

Re: Robot Combat league

Post by EpicentrE »

It's horrific. Over-hyped, fake scripted rubbish. Added on sound-effects and fireworks that shoot off to look like sparks to mask the fact that the machines are actually terrible and probably have less potential to do damage than our ants do (and I'm not even talking about to scale). I couldn't even make it through a whole episode I was so angry that excrement like this gets on TV when Robot wars and Battlebots can't get another series. ARGH.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Picturing Scott watching this in a Hulk-like rage amuses me.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Ha Ha! I only got 5 minutes into it. It really is appalling!! What a waste.
It is definately not the program that they are trying to sell it as!
dcr raptor

Post by dcr raptor »

If anyone has seen the fight between commander and scorpio, that is probably the best example of a scripted battle in the history of robotic combat. The only way that could have happened would be the result of either explosive bolts or an incredibly weak chassis for what it was...
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

It would be brilliant if this idea had worked, but we are not even remoteley close to coming up with anything working on this scale. Antweights are,in my opinion,the best,most diverse group of robots around.Mainly due to the cheapness of construction,enabling us to experiment more.IMHO!!
petec

Post by petec »

Actually, I stuck with it through the series and did get drawn in. Yes, the presentation is terrible - like worst American reality but without the tonge-in-cheek humour of Battlebots. But the machine are oddly compelling. I quite like the idea of deliberately building weaknesses into them, especially around the torso. It also became more entertaining later when they were clearly running out of spares. My kids loved it too.

Was it robot wars or BB? - no, never...much bigger budgets and no real enthusiast input. Is it a surprise that someone has got robot fighting back on TV 10 years after it last was on?...if you've been at a model show with me in recent years you will know that the demand has never actually gone away. I'd love to see if it gets a second series....preferably without Chris Jericho :-)
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com