Website Builders

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

alasdair

Website Builders

Post by alasdair »

Hey

I am looking for an online website builder to meet the following requirements or at least most of them:
Who knows any good website builders that can meet these requirements? If you know any other good site builders post them too.

Thanks in advance
Team Invade

Re: Website Builders

Post by Team Invade »

I've had a look around and tried builders such as webs and moonfruit but they make their money from adverts on all pages and do not allow a proper domain name without payment.

I ended up building our website on publisher, but we did end up paying for the host service and the domain.

You can get rid of the adverts and get a proper domain name on builders such as webs, but you would have to pay for them, as that is unfortunately how they make their money.

Hope that helps :)
Website | YouTube | Photobucket | Build Diary

Featherweight UK Champion
Heavyweight Robot Wars Champion

Heavyweight Tag Team Champion
Featherweight Tag Team Champion
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

P.S. If you want your own domain name it won't ever be free, the registrar demands an annual fee.

P.P.S I use 34sp.com £17.50 per month I host roughly 10 websites on it, with emails PHP MySQL etc etc, and room for plenty more.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

It should cost you less than £3 per year to register your own .co.uk or .org.uk domain name. I use http://www.123-reg.co.uk as PeteC recommended them to me :) - many others are available.

Take a look at http://www.5quidhost.co.uk - they offer 50MB of web space (advertised as 35MB but you get 50MB :D ) and 100MB/month bandwidth for free and it's proper web hosting with PHP, mySQL etc so you can install Wordpress, Joomla! or any of several other frameworks or anything else you like.
I'm not sure if they have any on-line site-building tools as such - it's not something I have looked for.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
PBx

Post by PBx »

Never explored the real budget end of the market, but I've used nativespace http://www.nativespace.co.uk for the last four commercial sites I've done. Their support and response has been great, as has performance.

For a simple to use, feature rich, easily maintained interface, I would go with Joomla every time.
Team - Yr Morgrug
The joy is the journey
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Weebly
petec

Post by petec »

Weebly or Wordpress would be the two i would recommend these days. There is really no such thing as a free website - it's either paid for by advertising or fees. As others have said domains have to be paid for - they are centrally regulated and these bodies have to be paid for. A .co.uk address is cheap though.

Also remember to test what you do on as many browsers as possible - in this age of tablets and smartphones, your audience may not be using the same as you!

[writen on Motorola Xoom tablet!]
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com