Email spam

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Orr

Email spam

Post by Team Orr »

Hey guys,
Just a heads up, I recently received several Spam email messages from users of this forum (Dave W, Josh, Joey and a few others) with some very shady looking links, im presuming its a virus or something so if you get one dont click it (common sense really). Has anyone else received something similar or was it just me? I reported it to MSN as the "Someone hacked my friends account" complaint so hopefully that should sort it out, will let you know if i get any more.
Jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
josh

Re: Email spam

Post by josh »

Ah I did spot something when I got 86 postmaster delivery failure notifications... didn't realise it could have come through here... I've changed my password but I don't know if that will help matters...
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

I have had a fair few of these myself from Youtube which keeps saying that I have messages which seem to have some dodgy links.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

@Josh: I dont think it came through the forum as such, i just recognised the names from the forum, i believe it may be sending to your MSN friends?
@Will: I think thats just general YouTube spam, people send messages to people hoping to get more views, more often that not the account gets deleted.

Jack
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I had a spam one from Josh the other day, I didn't know there was a cause here or not.
philippos

Post by philippos »

make that two dave.
Philip Johansson ,16

one of the guys from Sweden. :)

Robots: Breeze (Aw, not done yet :P )
josh

Post by josh »

Sorry anybody who received spam from me, not sure what happened, Windows have blocked my account which is a pain but hopefully it was just a one off. Have a suspicion it may have actually been a hack on my web server and it's been done through the mailto script... but I'm not sure how, it's just some of the numbers match...
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
philippos

Post by philippos »

no harm done! :)
Philip Johansson ,16

one of the guys from Sweden. :)

Robots: Breeze (Aw, not done yet :P )
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Good to hear its all sorted Josh.
On a similar note I just received 2 more messages with similar looking links to the ones I received from Josh. They came from 1: somebody who I don't know directly (but I do recognize as a ex forum user) and 2: Jay W (who I believe is "Abundant Toast"?). It's not a huge problem but just a heads up.
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Jack, I'm fairly certain this is nothing to do with the forum, more likely it is individuals with viruses and/or hacked accounts. Chances are your email address is in their address book and the spam bot sends messages to everyone in the address book.
I have suffered similar in the past, apart from informing the person concerned there's not a lot you can do. I'm not sure of the benefit of posting every incident on here...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt