close shaves

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

muchalucha

close shaves

Post by muchalucha »

theres a topic going over at the fra forum about mishaps people have had with building and testing there bots , so , what sort of accidents have you guys had lol :)
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

I once built a spinner and the blade sliced my finger as it spun up, but it was only a small cut, I was fine :D
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

i picked up my FW , and i didnt see that one of the wood screw used to hold it together (lol) , stuck out ,so i ripped a big hole in my thumb :(
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I've drilled my finger a couple of times in building ants
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

definatly a hit, never mind a near hit or miss

i drilled through my finger once, was my own stupid fault. I bought some new sharper drill bits that evening.
TEAM GEEK!
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

I had a close shave today. I was using the Dremel and dropped something on the floor, as I was looking down I held the dremel in one hand and nothing in the other. When bending over, my other arm was getting close to the dremel blade which was still spinning, and I looked back up and pulled away when the arm was just a cm away. I got some big veins on the underside of my arm, which could have ended up with a bloody workbench.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

While building my first robot, a heavyweight, I had a small winch to the garage roof which I used to support the back end of the robot while I held the front when putting the workmate underneath it or removing it. One day I had just fitted some hinged spikes to the front but as I lifted it and removed the workmate I lost grip of the front of the robot as the spikes flipped round on the hinges. One of the spike caught my leg just above the knee and ripped a reasonable size hole. Fortunately because the rear was supported by the winch the robot was swinging away from me so it didn't actually damage the knee joint. It still took about 15 stitches though.
petec

Post by petec »

Well, I managed to blow up a couple of drill bits (no really!) by trying to force them through steel. I used a jigsaw once to cut through some, er, steel (there's a theme here) and cut through the workbench and almost my leg. Once nearly started welding without flipping down my mask - could have been unpleasant.

Two favs though: 1 - MorePandaMonium nearly destroyed my kitchen when the failsafes weren't set right and I was testing it (I was between garages). 2 - I was making a blade once and made the mistake of quenching in oil while the bucket was in the garage and the flames went right up over the roof :-)
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

know what you mean about the fail safes , instead of stopping , when power is lost , 12kg of metal blasts around the kitchen floor . lol
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The funniest thing I did was not while building robots but washing the car. I had just finished using the pressure washer for the first time and didn't appreciate you needed to release the pressure in the pipe after turning off. As a consequence I couldn't unscrew the high pressure hose connector so I grabbed my trusty mole grips. I clamped the mole grip on the connector but also clamped a fair size lump of the palm of my hand between the mole grip handles. So there was I in good deal of pain attached to a fairly large pressure washer and to make things worse the release handle on the mole grip had fallen of some years before. Fortunately my wife was there and she got me a spanner which I managed to jam between the handles and lever them open. I had visions of me dragging a pressure washer into A&E.