Arenas

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Arenas

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I take it that that arena used on robot wars extreme for the ants is owned by mentorn? Would be great to fight in it. Can anyone construct an arena?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
american roboteer

Post by american roboteer »

i suppose you could construct an arena out of regular plywood

but to make a real working pit and flipper i dont know about that

i was thinking the same thing and considered a large servo for a flipper and a cars power window mechinism for the pit
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I seem to remember hearing that the mentorn pit had a man hiding under the table operating the pit manually.

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

budget cut-backs hey? But yea, I was thinking of a manuel pit. Some kind of crank on the outside to lower it. Would it count as part of the 50% drop off zone?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Anyone can build an arena and new and innovative designs are welcome!

The only guidelines are about 30" square and 50% drop-off.

IMO a pit doesn't really count as much of a drop-off as it's actually very hard to drive someone into a pit - it's hard enough sometimes to drive someone off the edge after all! Also, I think a pit would need to be at least 5" square, possibly more, and it would take up quite a large portion of the floor area. I think I'd favour hinged wall sections, like the final fight of one of the US TV shows (was it Battlebots?), with a "pit release button" like on RW to activate it. Watch this space...

The two Petes' arenas have two solid walls and two open sides, this has the effect of making the enclosure smaller. Any other design needs a pit all the way round and so the encosure is bigger.
My arena has "modular" walls that can be bolted on in various combinations to give a wide variety of layouts all with 50% drop-off.

I am currently working on the enclosure which is nearly 4' square and will easily accomodate any standard size arena. The enclosure is the expensive bit, so hopefully my "stand-alone" enclosure will allow other people to build arenas without necessarily having to worry about an enclosure. When it's finished I will publish full details of requirements for an arena to fit in it.

At AWS 17 we will be using PeteC's arena and my arena in its brand new enclosure. The plan is to alternate fights between the two arenas to speed things up a bit. Also adds a bit of variety...
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

thats crap Simon it was kind of hydraulic done with big syringes
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

I think I'd favour hinged wall sections, like the final fight of one of the US TV shows (was it Battlebots?), with a "pit release button" like on RW to activate it. Watch this space...
I think you mean Robotica, with "Fight to the Finish" I think. But they didn't have a realese button in the first series (have't seen the other ones), so the arena walls went down after a minute or so.

I've been thinking of the same idea for a time now, and as in the RW antweight arena, manually open the walls (on the outside, of course), after a special time, about a minute or so. To give ants to fight spinners for a longer time :wink:
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

BeligerAnt wrote:it's hard enough sometimes to drive someone off the edge after all!
Untill SUB happened it was.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Robotica, that was it! (The memory's fading with old age :( )
They had a timed release, but I think I'd prefer a release button instead. (That was what I was trying to say above - must have been a busy day!)
As I said, watch this space...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

As I said, watch this space...
How long for? Ive been here for hours...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39