Repairs

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Paulmchurd

Repairs

Post by Paulmchurd »

I am hopefully attending my first antweight competition soon. I am on unsure on many things 😂, however the main question I have is about repairs. Can I replace any part of the robot between battles?

For example my flimsy PLA chassis gets completely buckled by a spinner but I still won the battle. Could I transfer all the internals out and into a fresh chassis. Or would I have to super glue the broken bits back together?

Cheers
Paul
James Williams

Re: Repairs

Post by James Williams »

Hi Paul

Most people bring spare components to competitions (motors, wheels etc) so changing them is fine. Not sure about an entire new chassis though, you'd probably have to ask the EO on the day. I don't think too many people would have an issue though.

Regards
James
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I think the sporting thing to do would be to hot-glue the smashed chassis back together.

Most people bring spare wheels, motors etc, I don't plan to bring a spare chassis, I will probably use the same one that Pete's undercutter "Anticyclone" mashed up.

I'm going to bring a spare flipper (made of PLA :) ) because that can be smashed quite easily by a good hit from a spinner. If something structural gets bust, I'll have to repair it with hot glue and cable ties and hope for the best.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Ah ok, I suppose a full new chassis is a brand new robot. Not a repaired robot.

I’ll bring wheels, glue, batteries, motors and a spare flipper panel. I hope I don’t go out in the first round 😂.

Thanks guys.

Paul
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Interesting one IMO. Ship of Perseus thing.

I feel like if it's recognisably the same robot, the back up chassis is identical to the broken one, then I would have no problem my opponent having more than one with them. Making a full switch to a new chassis in the pits between matches, particularly towards the end of a tournie, would be super stressful for me and my primitive building.

I would understand if an EO drew a line somewhere though. With 3d printer stuff it's got to be a lot easier to have a "new" robot ready for each match. Might start to get a bit silly if someone really tried to push it to unsportsman like extremes.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot