Cleaning gear motors

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Paulmchurd

Cleaning gear motors

Post by Paulmchurd »

Hello,

Anyone got any helpful tips on removing hair and gunk from the gears on the N20 motors.

Iniantly I thought fire but didn’t want to damage any thing. So I took it apart and used a small screw driver to pick out the gunk. It just took ages...

Cheers
Paul
EddieJ

Re: Cleaning gear motors

Post by EddieJ »

Im using an ultrasonic cleaner to remove grease dust and .. shavings of brass, where i shaved the motor down, from the gears :P

You can pick a small low power one for £30, good for jewelry, watches or DLP 3D prints :D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1-3l-Ultrasoni ... 686&chn=ps
Or i have a spare small one you can have if you cover the postage. Fill with water, use a small glass with iso alcohol or cleaning fluid. Heat up and run for 10 minutes or so :)
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

How does an ultrasonic cleaner remove shavings of brass? Does it just unstick them so they can fall out more easily?
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

From how i understand it, it blasts ultrasonics at the part through the liquid. This agitates the liquid against the surfaces and causes micro bubbles to form on the surface and lift away the grease, dirt or particles attached to it. Depending on strength of the cleaner it can remove corrosion or i have seen people put an old engine block or mortocycle parts in there, gunked up with road grime and grease, they come out like new after a few cycles and a bit of spraying :D
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Cool, looks like a good future investment. I can unscrew the gear box and dunk them in. Would it remove trapped hair as well?