Posting photos

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MichaelG92

Posting photos

Post by MichaelG92 »

How do you put a photo/picture in a post? I'm aware most people use Photobucket but they charge a monthly fee, is there a way to do it for free?
Michael - Team MG Robotics

Fledgling Surrey based roboteering team

Antweights:

MicroNewton - flipper
ArmamAnt! - pusher
GFB - flipper (under construction)
Fight or Flight - flipper (under construction)
Fulford

Re: Posting photos

Post by Fulford »

the ones in my build thread (limited as it is) are hosted on imgur and then i just use the embed code I get from there.
First ant under construction :o
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Scale the picture to a moderate size, then the board lets you upload them.

I scaled mine this to 400x200 or something. I think the maximum file size is 250k or something.
zerosmall.png
zerosmall.png (157.87 KiB) Viewed 15081 times
Obviously a jpg has better compression so a bigger image size would be allowed.

Mark
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

When I had the problem of Photobucket starting to charge I was going to put my photo's directly on the forum but was told that it would cause problems if everyone did it.
I now upload the photo's I want to post to my onedrive then right click on them and select view online.
Then select the embed button along the top which generates a link in the box bottom right of the screen.
Select that fairly long link and copy it into the buffer Ctrl C.
Then go to your post select the Insert Image button and Paste in the link Ctrl P and the image will appear when you Preview or Submit.
Because my images are usually higher definition than needed I usually open them with paint before I put them on the onedrive and resize them to 25%.
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

I've used flickr on this and other forums, and it seems okay. It can generate BB code, which I always trim a bit so that it doesn't add a title under the image.

I'm always a little suspicious that no-one else ever seems to use flickr, and worry that everyone knows something I don't. I just like it because it doesn't randomly hide my photos behind a paywall or insist viewers install an app (as far as I know)
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

The lack of flickr use is mainly due to imgur being such a dominant force in the image host world, especially after photobucket added a paywall. Imgur was originally made to support reddit (ranked 6 in global website rankings), imgur itself is ranked 4 at the moment. So you can see how widespread imgur is as a host (For fun the other top sites are Google, Youtube, Facebook and Twitter).

I use imgur myself and have a fair amount of trust it's not going to go paywall on people.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

i used to use jpeg compression tools to compress picture to the point that they were small enough to put on this site directly.
i've now started using google pictures shared albums, as this is free, easy to do. simply put pictures into an album on your android phone or online though your google account, and then press share, select public sharing link, then paste the link in to your post on the forum.
Team RobotMad, home of the Smart robots, and very mean pots :)
Chris and Lincoln Barnes
MichaelG92

Post by MichaelG92 »

Resizing the photos in paint did the trick Peter, although for some reason it didn't like me posting more than one photo at a time. But that's a surmountable problem. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!
Michael - Team MG Robotics

Fledgling Surrey based roboteering team

Antweights:

MicroNewton - flipper
ArmamAnt! - pusher
GFB - flipper (under construction)
Fight or Flight - flipper (under construction)