Things getting hot.

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

voorsk

Re: Things getting hot.

Post by voorsk »

closest experience i have is fixing zx spectrums.. after the modulator bypass, the next job was always to replace the voltage regulator, as the old ones were incredibly inefficient. if you remember the 128k 'toastrack', that whole 6 inch heatsink was for the voltage regulator, dropping 9v to 5v!

that probably doesn't help, does it? I'm probably just showing my age. :p
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

GeorgeR wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:23 pm The fingertech is a good quality esc, and I'm sure it can handle the voltage. My initial hunch is that you might be drawing too much current on the bec line.

What was the full setup? So which receiver were you using and did you have any other esc's or servos attached?
I’m using this Rx https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-ia6 ... eiver.html

N20 motor, 3s 180mah galaxy lipo tiny esc and that Rx.

No servo or other esc.

I didn’t know what a voltage regulator was voorsk untill I started building robots. Haha!
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

I think i managed to hook up the multimeter to check the current draw to the Rx.

It registered 0.15A the esc BEC says it can handle 0.1.

I’ve ordered a micro BEC that can handle 1A which cost £2.50! I can do some testing and hopefully that will solve the over heating problem.
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Looks like you found the problem, the specs on that receiver say it should draw 30mA (0.03A), so it seems its pulling a lot more power than it should. Also the fingertech bec is actually only rated at 40mA with a 12v supply (100mA is for less than 8V) so it would definitely get hot running 150mA.

The separate 1A because should solve your problems, just remember to disconnect the bec wire from the fingertech.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Ahhh I was wondering what the graph meant. Seems the Rx could be faulty. I have a second one. I’ll test it to see what it’s current draw is.

**EDIT**

Tested second RX. This one is pulling 0.06A. Even that is too much.

Thanks for the help everyone. I enjoyed the problem solving but couldn’t have done it with out this forum.

Paul