Weapon materials

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

tomchaps

Weapon materials

Post by tomchaps »

I'm about to start my first kinetic bot (after building a 1-pound wedge and a 150g flipper), and I'm trying to wrap my head about the weapon blade. Are people still using 2mm stainless steel (like I saw in an old post by Rory)? I have access to a waterjet that terrifies me, but I'd love to have an excuse to use it.

So, since my actually cutting costs will be almost zero, what material should I spend my money on? 2mm titanium sheet? What grade stainless, if I go that route?

Also, my CAD skills are rudimentary--does anyone have a dxf of a blade with a hole pattern for the oft-used DYS BE1806?

Thanks in advance...
Occashokka

Re: Weapon materials

Post by Occashokka »

Im using 2mm of grade 5 titanium at the moment and I believe Rory and Alex have both used/ are using the same, I modeled my blade and and motor mounts for the DYS motor using these dimensions from hobbyking and it came out perfect https://hobbyking.com/media/file/157637 ... 522X15.JPG
Hopefully this is of help to you
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Yep, 2mm grade 5 Titanium is what you want, especially if you can waterjet it. I got mine from here and it worked well.

As for the CAD, while I don't have an appropriate dxf file, the mounting holes for the DYS 1806 (and the Redcon 2204 that Shakey likes) are M2 (2.2mm holes for clearance) on a 9mm diameter, (not 100% on the central shaft size).
If you're looking for free software for the blade cad I can recommend the emachineshop program, i found it pretty easy to pick up, and it has a centre of mass tool which is very useful for balancing asymmetric single tooth blades.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
STAINLESSDAVE

Post by STAINLESSDAVE »

Hi i CURRENTLY HAVE 40mm and 45mm diameter Titanium Grade 5 Bar, if anyone can use any please contact me