Combat Robot on the cheap?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Ba56

Combat Robot on the cheap?

Post by Ba56 »

So, let me preface with me saying this... I am new.

I'm a college student with a knack for software, but I've never dabbled into this field even though it's the most amazing thing in the world.

I have a bunch of bills and live alone so my goal is to acquire enough parts to make a bot as cheap as possible (feeding my undying need to mash the controls of my very own bot) until I can invest more into this sport during tax time. Fingertech seems to be a rather inexpensive website to order parts.

I would have liked to have made a pair of cluster bots, but I ended up reading the rules and apparently you can't have a robot drench another robot in gasoline while the other ignites it :[

From my research and understanding, these antweight bots are easy to build and aren't prone to much dismemberment. My idea currently is to build one with one primary weapon, either a flipper, cutter or roller, for starters. I'm breaking the process into segments, listing pricing for materials, and figuring out the best way to draw up my design on robotwars101's favorite software for 3D-printing a cheap model... (what is that again?)

The main part of the robot will consist of 2 wheels, 2 motors for the wheels, 2 speed controllers, a receiver, a transmitter, a battery, and the chassis/armor.

The primary weaponry, I am unsure and could use some advice in this department. I am leaning toward using the DYS BE1806 2300KV brushless motor for one of those rollers with the screws attached as a means for demolition.

My three main questions for you experts are as follows:

1) If you were to buy these parts for a moderate quality bot, as cheaply as possible, are there any places you would check, or objects you would use to acquire some of these parts at a relatively good price? I have heard drills from harbor freight are a good source for 12lb bots, but unsure of required specs on the lighter bots.

2) While assembling a bot such as this, I am wondering if the cheap speed controllers such as FingerTech's tinyESCs are suitable? And would I be able to reverse the motor at all with a cheaper model? I am fine without reverse, but I definitely want to explore options.

3) Lastly, I do not plan to compete with the first bot I build unless it surprises me.. heh. I am wondering what types of 3D material I should use if I end up getting the chassis printed? I have access to a local facility and these have over 140 types of material available. Also wondering what is the best CAD program to use for these, and if there are any examples floating around I could learn from?

Thank you for taking the time to read this whether you're answering, or also seeking these answers. I'm so excited I can't contain myself.. jeez.
Occashokka

Re: Combat Robot on the cheap?

Post by Occashokka »

Although he's probably got quite a lot on his plate orders wise RapidRory sells kits for £40 which has the motors,the wheels,the receiver and the esc, then you would just need a battery and charger, about a fiver combined on hobbyking i think and there's a fairly new transmitter from hobbyking for ~£17 and although I don't think anyone has one, they seem to look pretty decent, might want a second opinion just in case tho as I'm not a super genius :o
The DYS brushless is a popular spinner motor which is quite often just ran on 2s for weight
Pete Waller is the man to ask about 3D printing, I know he has used PLA Hi-abs polycarbonate and even nylon
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

The £17 transmitter from HK doesn't work with rorys kits.

Rorys kits are definitely the best option for getting into the sport on a build it yourself route and just need a battery and charger (available from hobbyking adding) and a Transmitter. There's a few options for transmitter like the e-flite blade, Devo7e, OrangeTX and DX6i.\

For weaponry I wouldn't advise a spinner first, they are often unreliable and not very friendly to practice at home with. A servo flipper or grabber is always a solid first robot choice.

I did notice you mentioned harbor freight, if your US you should be aware our UK ants are much lighter at only 150g vs 1bls of a US ant.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Since you are based in the USA be aware that this site is based in the UK and so the experience and expertise you will find here relates to suppliers to Europe and the UK/European antweight rules which are quite different to the American rules.
Having said that, there are a few Americans on here who may be able to help you out...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt