Idiots Guide Needed - ESC, RX & Motors!

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bigsi111

Idiots Guide Needed - ESC, RX & Motors!

Post by bigsi111 »

Hi Everyone

Bit of a newbs question I'm afraid.

I have Rory's Kit which is fab and I want another. I also want to understand how this all works and how to build one myself.

So is there a basic guide out there on how to put together such as system.

I've seen so mant parts on ebay etc., and me and my Son Xander (Team Die Sexy) need a project for the school holidays.

Any guidance will be very much appreciated,

Regards

Simon
Occashokka

Re: Idiots Guide Needed - ESC, RX & Motors!

Post by Occashokka »

One thing you could do which works alright in an ant, is to get two servo boards from standard sg90's or bigger and modify them into esc's and then buy a lemon rx and cheap Chinese versions of these : https://www.pololu.com/product/1093 for motors And then get some wheels off Alex or more cheap polulu rip offs and a 5v nimh, solder it all up and bobs your uncle, sorry I couldn't link actual parts, I would also recommend waiting for what someone like Antroboteer thinks as thy know things I dont
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

I don't really know all that much, but I'll impart what I do know.

It would be a good idea to shop around in places like HobbyKing as well as eBay, there's a board on this forum specifically for places to get parts from, and they should point you in the direction of what's best to buy and where.

Generally you'll want a Mode 2 transmitter as Mode 1 has the channels changed round a bit from what's normal on antweight sand will have you driving with both sticks rather than one. Mode 2 is the traditional set up of weapon (throttle) on the left stick and drive (elevator and aileron) on the right stick. It would also be good to have a mixing function on the transmitter, as for a transmitter I bought and currently use, the driving set up is that top right corner is to go straight forwards, and bottom left to go straight reverse, so I had to buy a V-Tail mixer to change that, which doesn't cost much, but takes up room in the robot.

For servos you'll probably want metal gears rather than plastic ones as it's less likely they'll strip teeth when under pressure.

For ESCs, good luck haha they appear to be the most difficult things to find and buy cheaply, but I believe some users here sell some that will work with Pololu gearmotors. Only brushed ESCs will work with brushed motors and vice versa for brushless, and I believe the gearmotors are brushed, but I'll have to check up on that.

For transmitters and receivers, I'd say stick with similar brands as that seems to be the least hassle, with a spektrum receiver, it will only work with certain spektrum transmitters, and people would recommend to you the Lemon Rx which is cheap, small, and works with a lot of DSMX/DSM2 transmitters (Spektrum). Blade DSMX transmitters would also be recommended, which until today I could only find Mode 1 of, but Mode 2 are available now.

This is new to me too, so I don't completely know what I'm talking about, but hope this helps.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

You need to be careful about DSM2 and DSMX radio's.
Most of us use DSM2 and the lemon receivers are DSM2 which is what Rory uses in his controllers but new spectrum transmitters are DSMX only and not DSM2 compatible.
They did for a short time make transmitters that were DSMX and DSM2 compatible but they have now dropped the DSM2.
Having said that you can still find secondhand ones that are DSM2 and other makes which are also.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

peterwaller wrote:You need to be careful about DSM2 and DSMX radio's.
Most of us use DSM2 and the lemon receivers are DSM2 which is what Rory uses in his controllers but new spectrum transmitters are DSMX only and not DSM2 compatible.
They did for a short time make transmitters that were DSMX and DSM2 compatible but they have now dropped the DSM2.
Having said that you can still find secondhand ones that are DSM2 and other makes which are also.
Ah, I knew there was some kind of catch with it. Well I guess I'm buying a new receiver; the AR6100e is only DSM2 compatible. Oh well, it's good to have spares.
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

If it's dsm2 that's fine, just use the same transmitter or buy a new one carefully
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)

Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Occashokka wrote:If it's dsm2 that's fine, just use the same transmitter or buy a new one carefully
I already bought a blade DSMX this morning haha. It'd probably be cheaper to buy a new receiver and then keep the AR as a spare to pair up with a future transmitter buy.
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Ah I see, I think dsmx lemons exist but I'm not sure
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It would be worth trying it with the DSM2 receivers as I have a blade MLP4DSM that is DSMX that does both.
If it is brand new it probably won't work though.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Ok, thanks, I'll let you know how it goes either here or on my build diary. :D