Polycarb thickness

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

mole55

Polycarb thickness

Post by mole55 »

Is 3mm Polycarb all round too thick? I haven't seen any robots using it, but having looked at the internals, I have about 70g to spare on a 100x90x20 robot.
joey_picus

Re: Polycarb thickness

Post by joey_picus »

It's far too thick XD Matweb (hopefully not down by the time you read this) will give you a rough idea of material weight for a given thickness and dimensions. The usual approach is to have thinner (1-1.5mm) polycarb all around, or thicker (4-5mm) serving as a chassis bulkhead while the rest is thinner and just armour. Have a play around though and see what works, but 3mm all around is almost certainly overkill and overweight!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

1.5mm or 2mm is as thick as you really need to go in ants, it's plenty tough.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
mole55

Post by mole55 »

Slightly off topic, but how would you attach bulkheads to an antweight whilst still being able to attach armour?
Last edited by mole55 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

You do it here and then in America, surely?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
mole55

Post by mole55 »

Thanks for pointing that out.

May have been trying to multitask there. Eating, having a conversation and typing at the same time is a bad idea. I've edited it now.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

That it is :) The way I did it on S. D. F. was to have the bulkheads be thick enough to drill and tap into (1/4" aluminium and then 5mm nylon 6, with M2 holes/bolts) and just mount the armour directly to those, but you could also use brackets (which works better if you want non-90 degree angles). There's going to be other solutions too, it's worth experimenting!