Controller/reciever competability

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

dcr raptor

Controller/reciever competability

Post by dcr raptor »

Hi, I was wondering if any 2.4GHz controller could be used with a robot with any 2.4GHz receiver or would only certain receivers be capable of being used with controllers made by the same group that are designed to be compatible.

As an example, I have a Spektrum controller, so would I only be able to use Spektrum receivers or would I also be able to use others such as the Lemon RX?

As per usual, thanks in advance for any useful info.
AntRoboteer

Re: Controller/reciever competability

Post by AntRoboteer »

This is my understanding - the messages to control the robot are sent form a transmitter in a certain encrypted form. The receiver, if it is compatible with that type of encrytion and can decode that message, will decode the message and intepret it. There are many different types of encryption such as FHSS and DSM2. You must buy the particular type of receiver that supports the encryption of the transmitter. For Spektrum transmitters, they are usually DSM, DSM2 and DSMX. I don not belive DSM is compatible with 2 and X but the others are compatible. Good DSM2 and DSMX receiver makes are Spektrum themselves, OrangeRx (my preference - perfect, reliable and just so good in every way) and LemonRx (which appears to be a copy albeit a good one I have read). You can then buy a DSMX or DSM2 transmitter such as the DX6i or the MLP4DSM (works great and is proven with Orange receivers + REALLY CHEAP compared to the other alternatives). The other route is FHSS but I have not seen those receivers or transmitters in combat yet myself. I would advise this combination for a good starter kit:

MLP4DSM - £12.99 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blade-Heli-Co ... 35c2d32ee2
Orange Rx R615x - £6.05 - http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... duct=62534 - 6 channels there if you need them later on with a more complex Dx6i or the like.

Just check the encryption of the receivers and transmitters and make sure they match before you buy.

Hope I have helped a tiny bit!

AntRoboteer
Rapidrory

Re: Controller/reciever competability

Post by Rapidrory »

A lemon Rx will pretty much work with anything that an orange rx'll work with; that includes Spektrum controllers. As long as it's a DSM2 receiver (and not a 'ground vehicle' receiver which very few are), it should work with any DSM2/ DSMX transmitter (again, as long as it's not a 'ground vehicle' transmitter, which usually have a trigger grip and steering wheel)
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc