Show us your tool boxes!

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

daveimi

Show us your tool boxes!

Post by daveimi »

Thought I'd start a good tool box thread as I couldn't see one. We need lots of pictures and details on the tool boxes you all take to events, which tools you take with you and or live in your box full time, your charging set-up up, ant carrying apparatus and so on :)

I'll go first, I'm a repair technician in the day job so I have two bags that go with me everywhere. I have a selection of saws and power tools in the garage, but everyday tool carry that I literally take everywhere:

Hammer
File
Spanners
3/8 Socket set
Screwdrivers (about ten various pozi, phillips, flat)
Stanley knife
Tape measure
Pliers and snips (of varying sizes), strippers
Scissors x2
Drill bit index
Channel locks
Allen keys
Various micro screw driver kits for laptops, apple stuff
Multi meter
Consumables - tape, tie wraps, fuses etc.

Hogi

Re: Show us your tool boxes!

Post by Hogi »

my robots are made out of hdpe pannels soldered into shape so as long as i've got my soldering iron, a little bag of hdpe shards to use as solder material and my extention lead i'm pretty much covered in terms of repairs. i always bring screw drivers, small electric hand drill, solder wire, variouse forms of sticky tape and a sheet of spare acetate which will usually come in handy.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

For an event, I literally only take a charger, scissors, tape and a screwdriver now. Used to take loads more but never needed any of it. Plus it helps getting for getting on the airplane!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I usually take a compliment of tools for other people to use, although I rarely use anything more than my '"All Purpose" screwdriver or my Allen keys.

I do take, for all contingencies:
Soldering iron, solder and 'welding' tips
Cable cutters
Tin snips
File
Smaller screwdrivers
Multimeter
Pliers
Adjustable spanner
Spare RC battery and bind plug
Angle grinder
Drill
Dremel
Last edited by razerdave on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I take all of what Dave just mentioned, and also my Dremel rotary tool + drill bits, cutting disks, milling bits, sanding drums, etc.

In addition to my tools, I always bring my "parts box", which is full of components. It contains almost everything I've bought that isn't currently in a robot, such as bolts, wires, motors, lipos, brushless motors, servos, servo horns, gears, pneumatic components, track components, electrical components, receivers, ESCs, etc. I rarely need any of it, but it's nice to have just in case. Things like my collections of spare servo horns and servo gears have helped people get their robots back up and running mid-competition before. I also bring spare materials (shafts, polycarbonate sheets, etc.), spare batteries for my transmitter, spare stickers with the robot's names on, and instruction manuals for my transmitter and charger just in case I need them.

In summary, I take far too much and most of it is never used, but I'd get anxious if I didn't :P.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I take everything I might need and none of what I actually need.
At the last AWS I needed superglue and a small allen key both of which I had left behind.
Fortunately the other roboteers are such a friendly and helpful bunch that I was able to borrow both.
daveimi

Post by daveimi »

Haha I'm guilty of taking the kitchen sink as well sometimes :)