How scary are ant spinners?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rhys

Re: How scary are ant spinners?

Post by Rhys »

The good thing about antweights is that even if you do get smashed up, it can usually be put back together with gaffer tape and glue. On a number occasions I've had to sweep my robot out of the arena with a broom and still had it ready to fight in the losers melee. Mind you, even that's becoming a rarity these days. Most ants are so well built they can take a few big hits from a spinner. And there's less spinners.

I wouldn't count against him getting upset though, it's just as frustrating driving off the edge as it is to be taken apart by a spinner. If you come to the next AWS you'll see plenty of grown men shouting, swearing and moaning when they drop in the pit (me included). All in good spirits though!
daveimi

Post by daveimi »

Oh gosh yeah, I mean disappointment is just a life lesson really, helps us learn and grow and everything. I re-read my earlier post and it sounds like a right rant lol. Didn't mean it to, had just noticed they seem to have cancelled an event we're going to. Erm but yeah I mean for the cost of ants we can build a few and he can try his ideas out, (so can i hehe) and it just all in good fun somehow.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Ants do seem to be a good playground for autistic folks, we already have a couple of regular competitors with varying forms of autism (or similar learning based difficulties) which I think is great. We are an all inclusive weight class. Anyone can enter an AWS, any driver, any quality, any level, and, more to the point, anyone can win a fight or two! We have kids building robots from cardboard who pull famous victories out of the bag, and it isn't just a freak occurance, it happens at every event. Your son has as much chance of pulling of a few victories than he does even meeting a spinner, and even then, its not necessarily game over. If you watch the Robototron Mk 2 vs Flail Whale fight from the last AWS, you'll see a robot get beaten to a pulp by a spinner and yet still win legitimately.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39