Dycem Tired Wheels

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

alasdair

Dycem Tired Wheels

Post by alasdair »

Hi there

I know a lot of people are using 3D printed wheels on their bots, and I was wondering what you use as tires? I have a fair bit of dycem hanging around, and I was wondering whether it is suitable for use. If so, how do you affix it securely to the actual wheel? If you don't use dycem, what are some other alternatives and how do you attach them to your wheels?
Rhys

Re: Dycem Tired Wheels

Post by Rhys »

I use this stuff and stick it to the wheels with super glue. Works a treat.

http://www.caraselledirect.com/_/brushe ... oller/176/
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Back when I used dycem, it used to be double sided, so you'd just peel the back off and stick it. Might not necessarily stand up to the rough and tumble of the modern arena though.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Dycem seems to take well to superglue, just try to glue the ends down without getting superglue on the outside of the Dycem. Dycem is quite compressible but superglue isn't so you end up with hard lumps which do nothing for traction!
I usually use some foam between the wheel and the Dycem or use at least 2 layers of Dycem to improve grip (more tyre area in contact with the floor)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt