Shapeways weapons?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

dcr raptor

Shapeways weapons?

Post by dcr raptor »

I've had a bit of a thought, as shapeways can print items in stainless steel, would this be an option for building weapons such as spinning discs or others of more exotic design that would otherwise difficult to machine due to complex shape or inexperience, or would the weapon shatter on impact?
I know that armour made from shapeways plastics can withstand spinners, but as no one has yet made a robot manufactured from 3d printed stainless steel or a 3d printed spinning weapon, I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide some insight to this idea.

Thanks.
Rhys

Re: Shapeways weapons?

Post by Rhys »

I hear the stainless steel is pretty unsuitable for a weapon. Looking at the construction process, I think it may shatter, or the teeth would snap off. I'm not sure anyone has tried actually building a disc though. I might try making one in my next shapeways order, but I don't hold out any great hope for it.

And as for withstanding spinners, the white plastic from shapeways isn't that great.
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

I have a robot with a 3D printed weapon- my Full Body Spinner- Momentum

This was not done by Shapeways and was printed at my uni instead using an HP Designjet printer which uses a different process to Shapeways.

This survived a direct hit from a spinner and also stood up well to its own impacts.

Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

My printed stainless steel disc arrived yesterday, and I have to say, first impressions are better than I expected. Its very heavy and feels quite sturdy. I've yet to mount it to a motor, but did the old scientific test of throwing it at a wall to see if it shatters, and it stood up admirably. Only cost £20, so its not the end of the world if it doesn't work.

Its ever so slightly too small to fit on the motor, at the moment, so I need to file it down. I tried last night, but found it difficult to file, which I guess is a good sign for toughness. Oddly though for stainless steel, its looks, feels and even smells like a pound coin...

I'll get it mounted to a motor and let you all know how the proper tests go.
dcr raptor

Post by dcr raptor »

Guess this could become the new norm for spinners then if all goes well... :)
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Well it's looking quite promising so far, but I don't think we can say it truly works until it's been tested in combat. I managed to file down the centre hole and get it loosely fitted onto the outer case of a brushless motor. For the future future I've learnt to print slightly larger than the outer diameter of the motor. It seemed quite balanced, and I did some hits at low rpm, but I want to secure it with some grub screws (and maybe stand behind some kind of protection) before I go hitting anything at full power.

Some pics:

Disc:

Measures 41mm from tip to tip, and weighs just under 20g

Mounted on the Turnigy Park 300 motor, which I used on Randar
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

It looks great Rhys. I look forward to seeing how it holds up in combat, particularly if its going spinner to spinner with another bot. Might be brown trousers time!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39