Boost Circuits

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

josh

Boost Circuits

Post by josh »

I've used several boost units in the past but they are all too large to fit inside the new chassis. I need to boost a 2 cell lipo to 12v to activate a couple of solenoid valves. They will only be activated for 0.5s bursts. Weight and size are some what limited with it being a struggle to fit even Fingertech v2 boards in there.

Any ideas or products anybody else has found?
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
peterwaller

Re: Boost Circuits

Post by peterwaller »

You don't say what current you need and I have never tried one but here is a pololu one from hobbytronics that can supply 300ma.
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/batteries ... -regulator
josh

Post by josh »

sorry yes about 200-250 ma burst for 0.5s. I do have one of those actually but it's a tight fit. I'm struggling to find anything much smaller really.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Well if you will build these small, compact, complicated robots Josh, it's your own fault :p
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The Pololu circuit doesn't look overly big or complicated for a boost converter. I don't think you'd get the parts much smaller. Space could be gained by going to a double-sided layout. However, even if you could lay out and manufacture the board there's still the issue of mounting that tiny controller IC. It looks like a DFN package and probably has a big thermal pad underneath. Really the only way to mount it is by using solder paste and a reflow oven. Sadly not at all suitable for home construction.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt