Thread for silly questions about rules!

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Re: Thread for silly questions about rules!

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I would see no objection to using a fan to push the robot down. Looking forward to seeing a upside down helicopter :)

The one thing I would object to is using magnets in a metal arena, although no one has a metal arena (yet) a rule may need to be added if one is created.
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I agree wholehearted with that. Magnets have ruined the small robot scene in America. Maybe we should just add a no magnets rule now so its clear?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Hi chaps.
I was just contemplating using magnets to lock in place three pieces of a folding wedge on the front of a robot?
Maybe a no magnetic properties in arena construction rule??? Magnets in robots could be a useful tool. I totally agree about not using them for increased grip though.Way too easy.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Yeah, the only thing that should be restricted is the use of magnets to generate downforce on metal surfaces, or obviously using EM to create interference.

I mean, we COULD add a no-magnets rule, but we'd all have to start using combustion engines instead of electric motors :D
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I knew someone would say that. And I knew that someone would be you, Scott! lol

I think a proper wording would be needed if such a rule was to be agreed on. A magnet in the robot so that it sticks to a metal floored arena (magnetic wheels, magnet in the front, etc), or any metal part of a non-metal-floored arena is what I really object to.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Simplest way is probably to define the arena as having no significant magnetic properties. That way, robots are free to use magnets for any purpose, and the new rule will not impact on any existing arena. One for the next round of rule updates...

(Shame, as I have access to some seriously strong magnets at work ;) )
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

Is 35mhz legal in antweights?
haz

Post by haz »

no
2m) The following radio frequencies are acceptable: 27 MHz, 40 MHz, 418 MHz, 433-434 MHz, 868 MHz and 2.45 GHz.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

As Haz says it is not one of the frequencies allowed for Ants but further than that it is not legal to use 35 Mhz for anything other than aircraft in the UK.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

It's not legal to operate on 35mhz frequency, but I think you can use 40mhz crystals in a 35mhz set, but with very limited range. I believe this means you fall within the rules, but will get patchy reception. I used to have a 35mhz receiver running in one of my ants on a 40mhz crystal, and it was ok as long as you were within about 3 metres.