Schematic/PCB software

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

josh

Schematic/PCB software

Post by josh »

I'm currently looking at electronic design software, I know a few people on here use various programs, can anybody suggest some they've had good experiences with? preferably not something with an Autocad price tag but I'm sure I can get my hands on a copy if that's the best way to go.

Cheers,
Josh
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
BeligerAnt

Re: Schematic/PCB software

Post by BeligerAnt »

There are a variety of solutions depending upon a) what you want to achieve, and b) how much you want to pay!

There is a free tool available via RS Components "Design Spark". Not tried it, but I guess if RS are putting their name to it, it must be at least passable.

Eagle is a well-known tool, although I've not used it. It is used by many small businesses. I think it's quite cheap, there may even be a free version available.

Many of the bigger E-CAD vendors also have evaluation versions that are free although limited to a small number of components/pins. I have used Zuken Cadstar, mainly because I use the full version at work so I know how to drive it!

If you want to draw schematics and design PCBs to make at home, almost any tool will suffice. However, if you want to get PCBs professionally made you will need to be able to create a set of manufacturing files. Not all cut-down or evaluation versions will do this.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt