Servo grease

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

ajw

Servo grease

Post by ajw »

Hi everyone. I'm in the process of modding some servos for my first ant and having done some modifications to the gearing I've noticed I've lost the majority of the white grease that was originally on the gears. Just wondering if anyone knows what is commonly used as lubrication. I've read conflicting stories about different greases like lithium based, stating that it can damage the gears etc and would like some clarification from some people with experience.

Also, any help on where to find any suggested greases would be helpful as I've not has much success so far.

One lithium based variety I've been looking at is this: http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/car-mainte ... tZhg%3D%3D

However, this is a sort of yellowy colour and I'm not sure how this composition differs from the white variety.

Cheers
haz

Re: Servo grease

Post by haz »

vasaline. done.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

vaseline seems to do the trick :)
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Yeah, defo vaseline. I switched to lithium grease and it isn't as good.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I suspect Vaseline will work OK, but it's probably a bit more sticky than you really want. May attract a bit too much muck over time. Most importantly, don't use too much! Put on what you think, then carefully wipe most of it off. That should leave just the right amount :wink:
You can (or could) buy very small tubes of grease specifically for servo gears (and similar), I think maybe Tamiya used to make it? You could try asking at a decent model shop. It's not the sort of thing that they bother to put on a web site even if they stock it.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
ajw

Post by ajw »

Cheers guys, I'll see if I can find some vaseline lying around or will see if my local hobby shop has something if I can't find any. Thanks