Tips for sketchup/3d printing

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

earthwormjim

Re: Tips for sketchup/3d printing

Post by earthwormjim »

Actually Josh,that does help. I didnt realise that blue should be intenal,and I had no udea about triple clicks!!
I will give those a go. I am thinking it may be due to having an internal face on the outside,as I tried the simplest shape possible,a 1mm thick donut,and it still happened,but I had a blue face on top.
Thanks Josh. :)
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Job done. Thanks Josh.
Maybe I should read the instructions in future. :roll:
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I seem to remember somone saying the shapeways stainless steel would be too soft for a disc. Is this only true to an extent and has anyone tried it?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The shapeways 3d printed metal may work if it was chuncky, however it is not hard and would cost lots to make a weapon.
TEAM GEEK!
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I was thinking low mass, high speed. So your saying a thinnish blade would be liable to shatter? How do other people tend to get their disks made?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
josh

Post by josh »

I think the 3d printed stainless will be quite soft for various reasons. Most people have a disk CNC machined from billet. Usually titanium or some form of tool steel. Design can be more key than the material though, if you are making a disk that effectively punches rather than cuts then you can use a softer metal as long as the teeth are supported from behind so they don't break off. The cheapest way to make a disk is to make a hub or buy a pre-made hub and screw some teeth too it then balance it by trial and error.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The easiest "disc" to make and balance is an aluminium bar with steel teeth. It's far easier to file bits off an aluminium bar to get it balanced than try to fight your way through tool steel!
Best way to fix it to an outrunner type brushless motor is to drill a hole in the disc to fit over the motor body and use a grub screw or two to fix it in place. Don't use a prop hub to fix to the motor shaft - you'll just break the shaft when you hit something!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

If anyone is familiar with Wooster they will know I have attempted a "do it yourself" disk and not really succeeded in balancing it. I was hoping to get a precision engineered disk for a more serious attempt at a spinner. I'll look into billet and think about some disk designs. :)
Last edited by bitternboy on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Atkinson
haz

Post by haz »

i used a bit of steel rule, as did an ozzy robot iirc.
have a look at spyro.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Spyro was amazingly well engineered, to the point of being ridiculous! I would not look at it as an example of how an amateur can build a good disc because its way above amateur level!

I know Will wants to get some new discs cut soon, maybe you could have a word with him and try and either get one tacked on to the order, or get one of the old ones he's replacing.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39