dx5e not binding??

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Re: dx5e not binding??

Post by BeligerAnt »

Quick update on this as it may help others:

My DX5e started playing up in the same way. Would not bind with a RobotBirds DSM2 Rx. The Rx binds OK with my DX4e.
Sometimes it would eventually bind, but then more often than not it would "forget" the binding after a few power cycles.

Having tried another Tx, fresh batteries in both Tx and Rx, removing servos, speed controllers etc, everything else, still very unreliable.

A Google search showed this to be a common problem with the DX5e on various RC forums. To save you trawling through them all, here's what I found:

The DX5e power switch is a bit dodgy. It seems that it may not switch reliably, causing noise on the power rails enough to upset the binding process - possibly binding is worse than normal power-on as the trainer switch must be held, thus putting extra stress on the case.
Certainly my DX5e is far happier out of its case, and binds perfectly and seems to stay bound!

Now to figure out a good fix to allow the switch to cover its full travel and avoid putting any stress on the contacts whilst switching or binding...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
BeligerAnt

Re: dx5e not binding??

Post by BeligerAnt »

So it turned out with mine (quite common I think) that the hole in the front moulding is not big enough to allow the switch to move all the way to the right ("On").

If you look carefully, in the "Off" position there is a slight gap between the switch lever and the case, allowing some slight movement in the switch lever. In the "On" position however, the lever is jammed against the case.

The solution is to take the DX5e apart and carefully trim the right-hand end of the power switch hole. Only a fraction of a millimetre is needed. Most of the problem seems to be the label stuck on the front panel which has a slightly smaller aperture than the moulding. When everything's put back together you should end up with the same amount of clearance in both the "On" and "Off" positions.

This worked for me, hope it helps someone else.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt