Antweight Ranking Table

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Wouldn't a fight score average (2 for a win one for a draw / number of fights) balance this out? You clever guys fight this out, whatever is agreed can be implemented, I'm sure.
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Joey wrote:I can see it possibly favouring robots who lose in the first two rounds of a World Series as they then have more fights to win to get to the final.
Yeah, but remember that they will have gained 0 points from the loss, meaning that even if they went on to win they would still have the same amount of points as the other robot, or am i missing something?

EDIT: what Simon said :roll:
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

That is a good point, I'd imagined a system based on raw amounts of wins for some reason but if you average it against the number of fights it removes that.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Points could accumulate for a year,then we start again,the next year.We could have a "champion" each year,like in F1??
I think we should reset the scores each year,to give newcomers/new robots an equal chance of doing well in any year.
I think Josh's idea is great of having a "teaser" top 5 on the banner somewhere that links to a simple,but informative page of all ranked robots,#1 at the top,picture,rak,build info,etc.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I agree, a rolling last 3 AWSs only.

So Gary's excellent spreadsheet provides us with the following data columns

AWS# Robot1 Robot2 Winner Fight#

I'm trying to work out how to get the results we want out of that using SQL.

Revisiting the score system, we only need one point for a win, there are no draws, so average win rate over the last 3 AWSs determines highest ranking, simply put, the higher you get to 1 the better you're doing.
Not sure how winning every match and losing the "second final" would affect things compared to coming to the final having lost once then winning, also not sure about when a roboteer fights his/herself and decides before hand which one goes through.

Jim, I suggest we reset the scores after each AWS
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

Sounds good. Add the url of the owner of the robot so people can click their way to see possibly fresh pics / build diaries on the robots they find interesting
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

If you had the SQL tables: robots, aws and fights you could use the following structure to keep details on robots, and an archive of their past AWS performances and how they did in the most recent AWS as well.

robots - name, weight, length, width, height speed, websiteurl, etc etc
aws - number, location, date
fights - RobotWinner, RobotLoser, AWSNumber

Calculating points could possibly be done in the SQL query (I'm not too familiar with the mathematical functions in SQL) or in PHP after you have retrieved the data from the tables.

Disclaimer: I came up with the above very quickly and hence have not thought it through properly. No guarantee I haven't missed something MASSIVE and it will in fact not work at all!
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The problem comes in double elimination with someone going all the way to final winning all there fights and someone loosing the first round then winning through to the final. This only happens on 8 or more robots. As the example below

A scoring system for final place, like F1 would be more suitable, or a ratio of win/loss?

=================================================
ie 8 robots
A B C D E F G H, winners in bold

Round 1

A v B
C v D
E v F
G v H

Round 2
Winners--------Loosers
A v C-----------B v D
E v G-----------F v H

------------------B v C
------------------F v G

Round 3
Winners--------Loosers
A v E-----------B v F

------------------B v E

Final B must win twice
A v B

Replay
A v B

Results
A 1st 4 wins 1 loss {10points 80%}
B 2nd 5 wins 2 loss {8points 71%}
E 3rd 3 wins 2 loss {6points 60%}
F 4th 2 wins 2 loss {4points 50%}
C 5th= 1 win 2 loss {2points 33%}
G 5th= 1 win 2 loss {2points 33%}
D 7th= 0 win 2 loss {1point 0%}
H 7th= 0 win 2 loss {1point 0%}
TEAM GEEK!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Thanks Andrew, so a points system won't need any databse work, but will excluse all but the top robots. what do people think?
the16henry16

Post by the16henry16 »

do a win and lost ratio like win/lost
8/2