Antweight Ranking Table

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

earthwormjim

Antweight Ranking Table

Post by earthwormjim »

Is there a way to implement a ranking table of all registered active antweights. The table could be updated after AWS's.In a simpler form,maybe just a list of the top 10 performing robots could be posted after every AWS? Perhaps it would be interesting to setup a register of all active antweights,where people enter a pic,and specs of their robots,then people could vote for their top 10,once a month? I think I would prefer a proper rank,based on performance at AWS's though. A nice colourful page with pics of the robots,and their rank would be nice,updated every AWS,and would make interesting viewing for newcomers to the site,and add a new element to the competition. What do you think???
philippos

Post by philippos »

that sound like a great idea! :)
Philip Johansson ,16

one of the guys from Sweden. :)

Robots: Breeze (Aw, not done yet :P )
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Great idea, like http://roamingrobots.co.uk/?pages=robot&id=1082

I'm sure there are plenty of possible hosters, but I could do it on http://www.antweightrobots.com/ (need to convert it to wordpress anyway) if no one else wants to. I can offer PHP MySQL, all the usual stuff.

Simon
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

What would be good is basing it only on AWS's and have multiple ways of viewing it, so most wins. Or points 1 for win -1 for a loss. Or indeed a percentage of battles won.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

I tried to do something similar a long while back on the FRA forum (way before Roaming Robots set theirs up). It proved extremely difficult to get anyone to add their robots details to such a system, and then keeping it up to date is a job in itself. I decided not to bother when it became clear it was going to be a lot of coding work for something that nobody wanted/could be bothered to use (at the time at least).

It is a nice idea though, and if enough people did actually use it then it would make a great resource!
josh

Post by josh »

We could have it as a small picture banner on the index of this forum that would update with say the top 5 ranked robots. That way it will be easy for people to see and inspiring for new users. It can then link to a full database of active robots and a full ranking system.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Surely the roboteers wouldn't have to submit the fight details if the person who's running this (Simon?) could just look at the AWS result sheets? presuming we are basing this purely on AWS results? not RRC, RFRC, RR & RL events etc?

Sounds like a great idea BTW, although i have a nasty feeling none of my robots will ever get about number 40 :roll:

Jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Yeah, this data is all stored at http://antweight.co.uk/ it could all be entered after each AWS, including photos. and served up in many ways, a robot's fight history, wins loses etc, and a ranking table (based on AWS fight average, 2 for a win 1 for a draw etc, plus some kind of seeding based on final AWS performance for last 3 AWSs, or something like that.
I'm familiar with databases, so I could probably knock something up, unless someone else wants to.

P.S. I don't know if this is current? http://www.robotwars101.org/ranking.php?class=ant
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

It doesn't look current to me, Anticide's nowhere near the top :P

I think it's a great idea personally, although I can see it possibly favouring robots who lose in the first two rounds of a World Series as they then have more fights to win to get to the final.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

Close Shave is currently ranked number 4 according to that... but I don't think it has even competed since around AWS 3 or 4 :P