Brushless motor problem

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Orr

Brushless motor problem

Post by Team Orr »

hey guys,

me and my dad just wired up the brushless system for my latest flea, but when we turned it on...nothing. we definately know theres power going to the receiver because when we plug in a servo it works fine, so theres nothing wrong with the battery/soldering on connector. so that narrows it down to the 3 wires going to the motor, its infuriating they arnt colour coded :evil: but we think we have it wired correctly (the same as the manual shows anyway)

im using a hitec ranger transmitter and a Robotbirds Pro-10A ESC, the motor doesnt have a label but the link is here: http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_i ... ts_id=1416

any help would be appreciated, il post a few pics soon so you get a good idea whats going on, if theres no joy il still bring it along to the AWS to see if theres anything we can do...

Ta
Jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

are you plugging battery into receiver or the esc? what voltage is the battery?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

First of all it dosn't matter which way you connect the motor wires it should work. If it turns the wrong way then reverse any two of the three wires.
Normally when you power up a brushless system it indicates its state of readyness by issuing bleeps. These are done by pulsing the windings with an audio frequency so if it does bleep it is probably connected ok.
One thing these motor controllers have in common is you need to set the controls to give a minimum pulse length. This can be stick fully forward or fully back depending on any channel reversing you have set on the throttle channel. You may need full trim as well to achieve minimum pulse so try stick full back and trim full back then both full forward. Once this is achieved the motor normally issues an series of bleeps and then responds to the stick postion.
If you don't get any bleeps it usually indicates that some of the connection to the motor are open circuit. This usually happens when people shorten the wires from the motor. The wire coming from the motor are the ends of the enamalled copper wire from the windings. If you do shorten them it is essential to scrape of the enamal from the ends of the wire before soldering to them to ensure a good connection.
The other thing to remember is that these controllers normally provide +5v to power the receiver so if you all ready have a power source to the receiver you need to disconnect one.
Hope this is of help.
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

hi

the power is supplied by a 7.4v lipo plugged into the ESC via a JST connector. theres no beeping at all, or any movement. i have had one brushless before and that seemed to work fine, so i have a little experiance. il try the pulse lengh thing and get back to you on that.

im not sure about the end of the wires, we did shorten them a bit (cut off the bullet connectors) but im not sure if theres copper on it. il check it out too and try again

im hoping its not a duff motor, its new so it shouldnt be a problem, its a shame because it was going so well :roll:

oh and vid of the fleaweight drive test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arxs_rRjAvg
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
josh

Post by josh »

I've heard of a lot of problems with he cheaper motors that the wires aren't secure as they come out the motor they are just the ends of the copper windings with some insulation round. People often complain that the wires have snapped on the inside of the case so check for that it may be that it doesn't appear so because the insulation is holding the two parts together...
I think more expensive motors at least secure the wires with a bit of glue if not the windings are fixed to terminals and the wires to the esc connected to these. Might not be though might as peter says just be a bit of a duff connection.

Just thought, you probably mentioned it but does the servo work from the power provided by the bec on the esc just the motor doesn't turn?
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Yeah, i plug the lipo into the ESC and then plug that into the RX, try the motor and get nada, then i plugged a servo in to see if it was getting power and it was fine, so yeah its getting power.

il take a look, it was a cheap motor, but was way more expensive than my old one :P and that lasted years

thanks for all the help, im going to resolder them just to make sure its not a cold joint
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
haz

Post by haz »

its funny you having problems with a brushless esc as this morning i dug out the esc you sold me and got it going
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

thats excellent! glad you got it going
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
haz

Post by haz »

?5 well spent :D bourght a new motor though.
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

haz wrote:?5 well spent :D bourght a new motor though.
that was probably a wise move XD darn you combatant!

also, resoldered the wires and made no difference, so not a cold solder joint (my soldering skills must be getting better :lol:) and i took a look inside and cant see or feel any breakages.

its odd, i may order a new motor just to see if that makes a difference, will keep persisting for a while though...
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics