Troubles with the giant cod 4 channel 2.4 ghz radio.

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

muchalucha

Troubles with the giant cod 4 channel 2.4 ghz radio.

Post by muchalucha »

I recently bought on of those 30 pound 4 channel 2.4 ghz sets from giant cod to replace my planet 5 radio. I was wondering if someone with more experience with 2.4 ghz or these rdios could help me. I press the bind button on the side of the receiver, the light flashes for a good 30-40 seconds and it just wont bind to the transmitter. It eventually stops and goes back to a solid green light but there is no control over the servos when that happens. I tried taking it down the end of the garden as ive read that wifi and other 2.4 ghz noise can stop a successful bind but still no luck:(. Any idea whats wrong ?

Thanks, Tom.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

i'm having the same problem
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

This is bad cos I've just recommended this to a friend of mine...
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
haz

Post by haz »

yeah that happens to me normaly its sown to

a just changed the batterys in tx
b just charged the rx batery
c the rx bat has run out of juice
d servos where knackered
mine has done this a few times but normaly it works

have you tried turing it off and on again :D
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I haven't had any problems but I usually switch on the receiver press and hold the bind button until the green light in the receiver starts flashing and then switch on the transmitter. If that fails I would check you are not exceeding the 6v supply to the receiver and perhaps try moving the transmitter a bit further away. The only problem I have found is when another 2.4 Ghz transmitter was within a few inches of the receiver then it stopped the receiver from locking on to the transmitter but this was during normal switch on no binding. I have just ordered a second Tx last night so I can do some testing by swapping the binding between the two.
Might be worth looking on the GiantCod forum to see if anyone else has had a problem. http://www.giantcod.co.uk/forum/
Last edited by peterwaller on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
haz

Post by haz »

oops forgot to mention if you hold the bind down for too long it flashes for ages and dosent bid
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

I've had that problem since the end of the Robots Live event in Edinburgh. I still need to check the basics like charging both tx and rx battery packs, but symptoms are exactly the same. I follow the bind procedure as normal, the light flashes for ~30s (successful bind normally takes about 10s), light goes solid green and then.....nothing. Would've asked this question before but only just got round to working on the robots again. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem.
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

Well ive just sent mine off to be "assessed" by giant cod. Seems more people have this problem than other forums indicate :(. However some of the older units seem to have no problems. Pete, did you have the t4u tx or the t4eu tx as all of the problem txs seems to be t4eu. Due to giant cods money saving measures it seems i will never get a refund :(, just a replacement receiver. No way im trusting this radio in my planes with all of this.

On a similar note, has anyone had any experience with the hobby kind radios ?

edit: Had a better look through the forums at giant cod, all i can find is more people with the same problem and no solutions :x, it does however seem replacement receivers seem to fix the issue and that giant cod have been issuing replacements so there hope yet.i hope.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I wouldn't read too much into the symptoms the receiver flashes the light until the binding process completes or it times out after a set amount of time looking. You can get the same sequence by leaving the transmitter off. All you can really say is that binding process is failing it could be either the transmitter or the receiver. It seems slightly strange but not impossible that it is linked to the T4EU transmitter but is solved by replacing the receiver. It would suggest that there is some difference in the sequence timing on the newer transmitter and some receivers are more sensitive to it than others.
My transmitter is the T4U but the one coming should presumably be the T4EU.
I think its a bit early to complain about Giant Cods money saving measures until you find out if they solve the problem. After all the reason we are buying these units is a money saving measure they do after all cost less than a Spektrum receiver and I seem to remember them having to recall a lot of transmitters because of faulty pots on the sticks.
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

im not complaining ! Giant cod have a very strict policy on refunds and repairs, but this is why they are so cheap! Ill see what happens then :).
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide