Troubles with the giant cod 4 channel 2.4 ghz radio.

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

Thanks for doing the tests pete :). Must have been unlucky :(, as you own both, are there any differences between the t4u and the t4eu as far as biding procedure ?
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Actually I don't own both it is one I am modifying for someone to left stick operation. As there is no way the transmitter knows that the receiver is binding to it (ie no button on the Tx pressed) they must repeatedly send the transmitter ID code in the normal operational information. The receiver then when the bind button is pressed must find that ID and store it in nonvolatile memory. As far as I understand it the information is not sent as a series of 1 to 2 ms pulses but as a serial data stream which looks too complex to work out unless I can find the information published some where.
The mod to left stick proved quite easy just swap the centre wire on the two up down pots and then repeat on the two left right pots. Move the up down spring from the right stick to the left and the ratchet from the left stick to the right. That way the built in mixing still works correctly.
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

cool thanks for the info :)
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Just a thought those who have had a problem what voltage are you running the receiver on.
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

I stuck mine on a 4.8 v receiver battery at first but when it all wasn't working i charged it up to dead on 5 volts :x . It did also seem to work ok on 3.7 V however i don't know if the 2.4 module was functioning correctly.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

I've been running mine on a 4.8V receiver battery. I've yet to try it out again with the packs fully charged but will hopefully get that done tomorrow and report back on the findings.
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

Well just given it a test and it's still not working. I'm just going to order a new receiver tonight for it and hopefully that should work. Just for reference, my transmitter is the T4U version.

I'm also going to order that Corona DIY conversion kit that Tom linked to in an earlier post as I have two very good 6ch Futaba transmitters sitting about that I don't want to see become redundant next year with the enforced 2.4GHz feather ruling. I'll try that out and give my verdict.
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots

muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

The corona 2.4ghz dit kits have fantastic reviews so i would be very intersted to how good they are as i also have a few redundant 40 mhz sets lying around. I got a message from rob at giant cod today and he said that the main encoder board(?) had been replaced and that it was now all working great, they are sending the set back to me and where extremely helpfull. So be sure to send your faulty sets to them before you buy new receivers !
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

Oops! I've already bought a replacement and chucked the broken one :lol:
Oh well, at least if it happens again I know to send it off first.

With regards to the Corona 2.4GHz kit, from the bench test I did tonight it works very well. There are indeed good reviews of it, particularly of the more recently sold units as they seem to have removed a few little glitches. I've not failsafe or range tested it yet but I hope to do so over the weekend.

I've done a little write-up-sort-of-thing on the FRA forum, with links to several forum threads I found particularly useful; if anyone wants a read, here's the link:

http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/forum/v ... f=3&t=3458
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots

muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

Got the repaired tx back from gc today, took a while but its working and they didnt charge me anything for it. Now its working, what a great radio this is for 30 quid!
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide