Speed Controllers

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Re: Speed Controllers

Post by razerdave »

I think de-bind was the wrong choice of words, it happens when I'm driving the robot around and it just comes to a complete stop. Sometimes I have to turn the robot off for it to come back. I sent the controller back once but I don't remember why, but I did get mixing put on it at the time (which has done wonders for it, the mixing on the 40Mhz was slowing it down!)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

As I mentioned it is a bit close to the AWS now but if you are still having problems I can take a look at it after. I will try and remember to bring my AR6300 so we could try swapping it if you have problems.
The new chassis board with the cheap motors is nice speed for me to drive but with these wheels it can pull wheelies.
Although I would have to remove most of the thin plastic sheet off the front to still fit the cube.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have been looking again at the new controller with the minute RX31 receiver mounted on it to see if it feasable to make for other people.
My main areas of concern were the price as the Rx are £25 and the fact that I could end up having to replace the Rx if they go wrong even if due to user misuse.
What I have done is to make them plug and play which reduces the chances of damage and state that removing the case and or resoldering will invalidate the warranty as will obvious spinner damage. That is not to say I won't try and fix them but that any damage to the reciver will almost certainly involve it being replaced at cost.
The controller now comes with two 2 pin sockets to connect the motors and a flying lead with the JST connector already fitted for the battery which should avoid reverse connection.
Two flying leads will be supplied to be soldered to the motors to enable them to be plugged in and these weigh 2.5 gms for 2 x 150mm leads.
The case of the unit is 21 x 28 x 6 mm with another 3mm for the usual 4 pin servo connector with 1.5 amp BEC to suit HPX F servo's.
The weight excluding the motor leads is 5.4 gms and there are two drive chips so should be good upto 2.4 A per side.
Here is a shot with every thing plugged in.
The bad news is that including the Rx31 receiver these look as though they are going to cost around £62.
I have just built the first one which is going into my next robot which I should be able to test at the next AWS so if all goes well they should be available after that.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

nice work 8)
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I'll second that.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

These look very nice! If the test works well I think I may have to get a couple for Inertia's 4 & 5 :)
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I'd pay that for one.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have now tried to simplify the range of controllers I can build by bringing out a prefered range of three although I can still do the older versions if you can't change for some reason.
The newer range all have double drive chips (2.4A), JST battery connectors fitted and strain relief on flying leads.
1. The Option D2 that is an updated Option D board that replaces the Option A and D boards.........£35 + £2 p&p
2. The HK4Ch compatible module that you can just plug in your HobbyKing 4Ch DSM2 receiver.......£35 + £2 p&p
3. The Rx31 reciever/control module that has the tiny Rx31 DSM2 receiver on board...................£60 + £2 p&p
For more details see http://www.antweightwars.co.uk/Controllers2.htm
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Peter its still too big! (for Anto anyway :) ) you beat me to doing it, fantastic Peter, £62 for receiver and controller is a great deal
haz

Post by haz »

just wondering but how the hell do you make anto's electronics so small? im guessing extremely hard and you need to have some idea what you are doing :roll: