Spektrum DX6i

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Spektrum DX6i

Post by peterwaller »

I have been looking at getting a DX6i so I could use the smaller receivers but although they are much cheaper than the old DX6 they only came with the larger two part AR6200 receivers which are too big for ants. I have just found a shop in Leighton Buzzard that sells the transmitter seperately.( Selections Hardware and Model Shop.) For those of you who are not local they also sell them on Ebay. The DX6i transmitter for ?64.99, the 6100 Receiver for ?44.99 and the 6300 Receiver for ?39.99. Although the 6300 is that bit smaller the tiny JST connectors make it harder to use where as the 6100 is pin compatible with the BR6000 and so should plug straight into my controller boards. I have just been to the shop and they are both helpful and knowledgable so I bought a DX6i and 6100.
http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/Selecti ... 25QQsofpZ0
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Just been having a play with the the new gear and found some interesting things. First of all the transmitter seemed to work and Bind with one of my old BR6000 receivers and I was eventually able to set up the mixing for single stick tank steering after looking at the settings on the DX6. I then replaced the BR6000 with the new AR6100 and after binding found I only had drive on one side. Some checks with the oscilloscope showed the tha signal coming out on the Aileron and Elevator channels were working and changing with the stick movements. It turns out that although the channels come out in the same order on the connector on both the 6000 and 6100 receivers the DX6i generates the channels in a different order sequentually than the DX6. Unfortunately the software in my speed contoller boars expects the elevator channel (for/rev) to come out directly following the aileron channel (left/right) and it doesn't. The order seems to be
DX6....Thr...Ail...Ele...Rud...Ger...Aux
DX6i....Ail...Aux..Ele...Rud...Thr...Ger
I have also now found that the BR6000 seems to lose its binding which is somthing they have been discussing on the FRA site so I need to investigate this.
olivers

Post by olivers »

Let us know what you think aboutthe DX6i.

I read reviews saying it was a bit plasticy and had a cheaper feel than the DX6.
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

I do prefer my DX6i over the DX6. However the problem as Peter described (binding with the BR6000) is the only thing that stops me from endorsing the DX6i for robot control.

It can transmit much longer (i have flown my heli and sim on the dx6i for longer than 10 hours now on its initial charge), has better settings, much smoother controls, and i prefer the ergonomics over the DX6.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I will certainly let you know how I get on with it but my initial thoughts are as follows.
I as Leo says think the look and feel of the case is better. I never like the imitation chrome look. The case is taller which means you get a bigger display and I think the progamming once you figure out how to use the single push/roll control is very good. It only uses 4 dry AA cells in the transmitter and I will see how long they last before I decide to change to rechargables. The AR6100 is about 1/2 the size of the BR6000 although its more like 4gms not 3.5gms as advertised. The AR6100 seems to only draw 25 ma as opposed to 125 ma for the BR6000 so a significant saving.
The only problem seems to be one of compatability with the BR6000 which I need to look into as I have 5 of those. The AR6100 only has failsafe on the throttle channel which is the weapon one in all my robots so is probably good enough for antweights.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have just done some testing and found some interesting things.
First I found that if having bound to the AR6100 I then bound to a 6000 the bind with the 6100 was lost. As a last resort I read part of the manual and descovered model match. It appears that if each receiver is bound to a different model number in my case a AR6100, AR6000 and BR6000 to models 1,2 and 3 they all seem to work. I have only had time to cycle them about 3 time so far but non have lost there binding and if I connect receiver 2 with model 3 it never sees the signal. I need to do more testing to be sure but this may ??? be part or all of the problem with binding to the 6000 receivers.
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

No I am well aware of modelmatch and I am sure that that is not the issue. I set my robots on different models anyway, even on the DX6.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

And on the DX6i i can at least give the models decent names. :)
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
olivers

Post by olivers »

Found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPEKTRUM-AR6100-D ... .m63.l1177

AR6100 ?26 shipped to the UK.

Might have to get a DX6i now that Peter and Leo have given it the thumbs up. At least that way if I screw up my DX6 with the voltage and aerial mod i'll have a spare Tx.
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

You do realize theAR6100 does not work on the DX6, but only on the DSM2 transmitters like the DX7 and DX6i?
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website