Help Getting Started

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

FusionX

Help Getting Started

Post by FusionX »

Hey guys, I've never really built anything but a birdhouse before but I've wanted to built an Ant for a long time. I believe that I now have the willpower and resources to do so. I'm 14 years old and would prefer to get all my stuff at a local hobby store.

The plans for my Ant are as follows, I want it to be extremely simplistic, a simple wedge design with 2 modified servos and cardboard armour/chassis. I was thinking of purchasing all the parts separately but I figured that for my first Ant I should probably just go with some sort of kit.

I've been lurking around this and other forums/sites regarding parts and designs. While doing this reading, I've heard that it's a good start to get a Skysport kit. I have a question regarding the only one of these kits available in my area...

http://leadingedgehobbies.com/oscommerc ... 8884fdd54d

I was going to phone the store and ask them if the receiver was FM and if it was 40 Mhz. I'm in Canada by the way if that makes a difference (I've read that different frequencies are used in different countries). Anyway, my question is, is this kit good for constructing an Antweight? In addition, are these parts all I'll need besides a chassis?

My final question is, what is a crystal and what does it do? Is it necessary?
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

The set you have there is fine for what you want to do, perhaps even a bit overkill, but together with the servos you are ready to go.

Indeed, frequencies are dependend on the country you live in.

Your Legal frequencies for canada are:

75 MHz (most common)

Besides those these are also allowed but under restrictions:

27 MHz
49 MHz
50 MHz
53 MHz
2.4 GHz

72 MHz is also allowed but only for flying models (Planes, Helicopters) so avoid that frequency.

Here is a list of all frequencies and channels available in Canada.

http://www.maac.ca/freq_chart.php

Crystals are what determines what frequency you use in a certain band. The 75Mhz band is divided into 30 "channels". Every channel has 2 crystals, 1 for the transmitter, 1 for the receiver. You will always need at least 1 set of crystals to make it work.

It is important to have the crystals suited for you frequency. A 50MHz crystal will not work in a 75MHz transmitter and so on.

I hope this I made some sense?

Take care.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The other thing you need to watch out for is that real antweights (UK & europe) are max 150gms and fit in a 4 inch cube where as in the good old USA they are almost 3 times that weight and I dont think there is a size limit. That wouldn't be too bad but they do keep calling our ants fairies. As you are in Canada you might do better building to the US standard.
FusionX

Post by FusionX »

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I got the kit and it was running fine until recently. Basically what happens is I can rotate the servo for a couple seconds and then I can't move it at all. The battery power and remote control are fine and there's power coming from the receiver. In addition, I've tried all the servos and the same thing happens for each so I don't think it's a servo problem. Any help would be appreciated.
josh

Post by josh »

this may sound stupid but you know servos when you first get them only turn for 60 degrees you have to modify them for full rotation? lol otherwise i don't know can you reverse them after they stop? if they reverse after they stop they are fine u just need to mod em iff not maybe ur batt isnt powerful enough what capacity is it?
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

hmm, i think josh is right u probably did not modify them
Simons site has a guide on how to modify them...
although the mod is for micro-9's the basics are the same for any modifyable
servo

or, failing that the ant shop has pre modified servos for sale
hope this helps
Jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
FusionX

Post by FusionX »

I know that they don't rotate fully, that's why I said I can't move them AT ALL when they stop.

Edit: After reading this back in my head after I posted it, it came across badly, sorry folks.
Last edited by FusionX on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josh

Post by josh »

ok sorry umm are you running nicads or lipos?
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

oops, from me as well, :oops:
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
FusionX

Post by FusionX »

josh wrote:ok sorry umm are you running nicads or lipos?
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like an ass with my reply. I'm pretty sure the battery is a Nicad, it's a Futaba NR-4J.