Just Starting

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

devil238

Just Starting

Post by devil238 »

Well I just had my first few serious thoughts about ant weights and google'd it (Because when you get serious google will be there for you :) ) and found this amazing website, and then moved on to this one. Seriously this is honestly the most advanced and well put together site I found.

On to the point of this topic. I have in my posession a Futaba control I had used once upon a time for R/C planes. That kinda flopped though... into a tree, and then the road... point is that I chould purchase a crystal that matches frequencies with the ant weight starter set on this very website.

I'm just wondering about a few things like is my controller with the correct crystal really going to work? What material should I use for the body? Can you recommend the starter set or is it cheaper to make the same thing from scratch?

Please ask if you need anymore details.
-=Insert funny Signature here=-
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

If your transmitter was a 27 Mhz system it can be used for robot use as well but you would need a 27 Mhz receiver. If your transmitter is 35 MHz then it is not legal to use for ground based vehicles like robots so you would need to get a new one, normally we use 40 MHz FM transmitters. As far as body material people have and still use, cardboard, wood, plastic, aluminium and titanium. Generally as you move through the list they get better, more expensive and harder to use. Probably the best compromise is 1mm polycarbonate sheet which is easy to cut and bend but difficult to glue.
Hope this is of help ?
devil238

Post by devil238 »

Thanks . That definetly helped :D. My control is unfortunately 35 MHz but I think they sell crystals in the local hobby shop, I'll take a look. My controller was made for planes so knowing my luck it wouldn't work even if i did get the correct frequency. But still, thanks! ^^
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

If its a 35 MHz transmitter you cant just put in 40 MHz crystals and expect it to work. A 35MHz transmitter is capable of working over the range of the 35.300 to 35.950 by changing the crystals where as 40MHz transmitters can work between 40.665 and 40.995.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

You can risk just putting a 40MHz crystal in, but the range will be poor. And the last thing you want is interference. It's worth the extra few quid for a decent 40MHz transmitter. As for the reciever, you'd probably end up getting a lighter one anyway, so just make sure you get a 40MHz one when you upgrade.
devil238

Post by devil238 »

I hate to sound persistent but they do sell the same model as mine at 40 MHz. thought that might be relevant. Also, thanks Duff^^
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The circuits in the 35MHz and 40MHz versions will almost certainly be exactly the same. However, they will be tuned differently, which is not a DIY job (unless you're a radio expert).
As Rhys (Duff) says, it will possibly work to some degree, but range will be severely resticted.
If you really have had enough of flying machines, you could try part-exchanging your 35MHz gear for some 40MHz gear at your local model shop. You may be better off selling it on Ebay though...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

If you posted the details of your Transmitter then maybe some one has had some experience with them.
From what it sounds like it could be a sky sports version.
I have a sky sports 35 and 40 mhz sets, I started with RC planes as well.
You can put a 40 mhz crystal in it and yes the range will be terrible. You will also get interferience.

Probably another thing that should be recomended is armour.
You can get polycarb plastic sheets (used regulary in ants) off
http://www.technobots.co.uk/
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->