Alpha, my new antweight I'm making.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Technex

Alpha, my new antweight I'm making.

Post by Technex »

Well, after some thinking, and money saving I now am wanting to build a antweight.

I want to build a nice strong flipping robot. But I don't want to good of armour, I just want lightweight as I won't be going against spinners. :roll:

I have looked for parts and I have found these so far.

Alpha Part list:

2x Sanyo NA-Series Micro Geared Motors 50:1 - NA1S | 18 grams

2x 145mAh Cellpro Kokam LiPoly | 16 Grams

Ant 150 Dual 5A Robot Controller with 15A AUX channel | 16 grams

Hi-Throughput A-Valve | 20 grams

165A 3/8" bore, 1" stroke ram | 19.84 grams

[So far: 89.84]

Air tank | 14 Grams

Recivor | 8 g

Armour Carbon fibre | 12 Grams

Additonal extras e.g wires. | 22 Grams

Total: 145.84 Grams. Out of 150 Grams limit.

What do you think? And any other sugestions? I don't mind if you add or remove items on my list. I have around 150 Pounds to play with. No more that 160 Pounds.
[Get Firefox]
[My real name is Laurence]
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi Laurence,

That looks like a well researched list.

I'll give you the same advise I always give new roboteers... Start simple, just build a non-flipping wedge to start with. Learn how to control it, how to put the wheels on, how to fit it into a 4" cube, how to charge the batteries etc, then go for the weapon. You might have changed your mind by then about what's a good weapon anyway.

Also, buy some of Pete Colliers AWS DVDs
http://robotwars101.org/ants/shop/show_ ... 2939&id=14 and have a good look at what works and what doesn't

All the best

Simon
josh

Post by josh »

looks great :D im afraid alpha is already a featherweight tho :( but u may still be able to use the name in ants
Technex

Post by Technex »

Simon Windisch wrote: I'll give you the same advise I always give new roboteers... Start simple, just build a non-flipping wedge to start with. Learn how to control it, how to put the wheels on, how to fit it into a 4" cube, how to charge the batteries etc, then go for the weapon. You might have changed your mind by then about what's a good weapon anyway.
Well, I love pnematics and I wanted to add them to my antweight. I will start with all the rest first, and leave the weapon to last. I will have to custom make the air tanks as there is a trick to this design. I'm in no rush at all, that's why I have designed this robot. It all fits fine into a 4" cube.

Damn, I knew that name would have been taken :/ Can I use it still?

Here are some pics:

^There's some empty space at the front right as I've not yet decided on the bat yet. Some kind of Li-Poly.
[Get Firefox]
[My real name is Laurence]
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

You really have planned your first ant. Looks very good. Is the CAD with or without wheels?
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

All looks very good. Looks very similar for what I'm planning for the new Duff (when I can afford it). Just a few suggestion/pointers. Firstly, i don't really think 12g is enough for armour. I have the thinnest CF you can really get away with on an ant, and it's 8g just for the chassis. With armour on top I think 20g would be more relistic. What thickness CF are you looking for?
Also, I think you're being a bit optimistic for your budget. For all the stuff you have listed there, you're looking at going over your ?160 budget. Then you have to factor in other costs as well. You'll need a good li-po charger, transmitter, certain tools you may not have etc. Plus shipping them from America is going to cost a small fortune. For a first ant i'd seriously suggest going for servos for drive, polycarb for armour, and a quick servo for a flipper (if you really have to go pneumatic, lego is a cheaper option). Obviously it's entirely your descision, but it'd be a shame to spend you budget, and them some, only to turn up at your first event, and get it all destroyed.
The positioning of the ram looks a bit dodgy. It looks like the arm wouldn't have much movement. it would be a shame if you'd spent all that time and money on a pneumatic system, only for it to have a flipper with an arm that only goes an inch in the air.

Also, what's the point of building it if you're not running it against spinners? You'd end up going to events just for the warm up and sitting out the main event.

Other than that though, have to admire you're enthusiasm.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Exactly the same parts list as anticipation apart from the tank.

Not too sure about the name, i wouldn't recommend using it.

Those wheels look like they are about 15mm diameter, which would give you about 30cm/s, you may want a little more.
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Rhys, if he's running it at Reading like he said, he can quite happily fight in the non-spinner event/football ect.
It's a good looking, complex design, but if Hib's around to help, should go ok. lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The rams from robotcombat come with a bracket, this actually weighs about 4g and as far as i can tell are not very good, the problem is that the tube into the base of the ram touches the chassis of the robot.

I have also cut off some of the ports that are not being used, the output to the valve and the top one on the ram.

Another random thing, these rams need alot more force to pull them down, about 2-3 times as much as the lego rams - about 200g is needed.
TEAM GEEK!
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

i remember having that name ages ago (before feather alpha) but go for it. Nobody really cares unless its in teh same weight catagory. That can cause confusion.
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->