Lifter

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Lifter

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Just starting a discussion about rules and deadly embrace.

I am thinking of turning icant into a powerful crusher lifter, where it crushes then lifts up. However i am not sure if it would count as deadly embrace if they had been picked up and not be able to be realised?

Thanks in advance
TEAM GEEK!
olivers

Post by olivers »

This is the issue I have with Anteater, deadly embrace. Normally people start shouting when it's in effect or I keep an eye on it. Every now and again I will release the opponent then re-grab, ideally to get a better grip.

It doesn't come into effect too much.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I think the deadly embrace rule should only come into effect when 2 robots are locked in absolute stalemate deadlock (for example, if Oliver grabbed someone but then couldnt move because of it either) as opposed to just when someone is grabbed/picked-up/whatever. If at least one robot is in control of the other, the rule shouldn't come into effect in my opinion, so Andrew would be fine to make his modifications to Icant.
But, judging on the effect I get on "my opinions", i think I'll stay away from arguing my case any further...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Dave FWIW I think you're probably right! :)

If one robot picks another up and can then drag it around wherever it likes, is that any different to a wedge-shaped pusher getting under another robot - lifting its wheels off the ground - and pushing it around?

Since in both cases one robot is clearly in control, should either be called a deadly embrace?

Is the deadly embrace rule only meant to apply to stalemate situations where both robots either cannot move or are unwilling to move? Or does it apply to any holding/carrying of opponents in order to give them a "sporting chance" of escape?

If the rule does apply, it means you have to dump your victim out of the arena within 20 seconds of grabbing them!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

If all goes well that is easily enough time, but it is never that easy
TEAM GEEK!
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

I personally think a deadly embrace means a complete stalemate and bothe robots either cannot or will not move. (Interested myself, because Cobra Spit is a grabby thing, but doesn't really have enough torque to push stuff about!)
Team 'In Theory'
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Deadly embrace is when 2 robots are stuck together and cannot release themselves, anteater is only aloud to grip for 30secs thus it doesnt become deadly embrace til Oliver cant release.
Also u cannot be deadly embrace with the arena aka getting stuck on one of pete wallers wheels they are hazards not embraces