Promoting ants

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Promoting ants

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I dont know how long its been since this was covered, but it seems to me the only way we promote/let people know about/sign up to events and that is on this forum. Seen as though everyone who visits this forum is already an antweight roboteer, isnt there some way of letting more people know to get some new blood involved?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Bouncy_Bot

Post by Bouncy_Bot »

thats a good idea, since me and josh are only kids most people think were sad if we build robots :cry: so we cant really spread it much at school :-? :I had an idea but i forgot it lol:
Nick, Ambitious Ants

"All you have to do, is go up to somebody's house, ring the bell, and say, 'Trick or Treat!' "
"Are you sure it's legal?"
"Of course it's legal."
"I wouldn't want to be accused of taking part in a rumble."
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

I'll see if Mr B will let me don a school assembley. Might attract some attention.

Back to physics :(
Team 'In Theory'
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Hahaha! I'm at a technology school with lathe/CNC/mill machines and Robotics! I just wonder how I will promote this "sport". Maybe by getting my FW ready and pratice drive a bit at school on a empty parking lot......mmmm.......empty parking lot.... :)
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Bouncy_Bot

Post by Bouncy_Bot »

hehe, then car comes along and **squish** dead FW

Only joking lol

If josh is going ahead with the ickenham featival date next year then tahat will get lots of publicity :D
Last edited by Bouncy_Bot on Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick, Ambitious Ants

"All you have to do, is go up to somebody's house, ring the bell, and say, 'Trick or Treat!' "
"Are you sure it's legal?"
"Of course it's legal."
"I wouldn't want to be accused of taking part in a rumble."
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

FW = Featherweight

And driving a FW around isn't exactly going to help promote ants, is it :P I think we could do with having a small stall at a model fair or something. It was discussed a while back, but nothing was ever done.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The simple truth of the matter is that it takes someone to get off their a**e and organise something! Unfortunately we're all busy people with lives outside of robots, so finding (a) a suitable event, and (b) time to get in touch with the organisers, get enough people to man the stall, etc etc and turn up on the day(s) is a bit of a problem.

I suggest everyone looks out for suitable shows and we make a determined effort to attend a few next year. It may already be too late for some, as I think stalls are booked up very early at the major model/hobby shows.

Maybe we need to appoint an honourary Publicity Officer? Any volunteers?
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

You mean like the newspaper?
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I like the idea of a publicitiy officer, someone to try to organise public shows etc, or at least oversee decisions, if others have ideas/proposals. I'd say ask within the AWS Commitee first, and if no-one can do it, then ask the rest of the community. I'm sure someone will be willing to do it.

It's also good getting publicity with other 'bot fans at Romaing Robots events, However these are few and far between and I always feel ants take a back seat and are not noticed by many. I was speaking to Stu the other day, and we talked about another FWS (Feather Weight Smash), and he said theres a possibility of having one next year sometime. I think this would be excellent, as at the last 2 FWS's the ants were really made to feel part of the competition, and we got a lot of attention and people interested in them.

Anyway, I guess we'll wait and see :) In my opinion, it's not like the community is in any chance of dying, so this isn't a matter of urgency. It's just always nice having fresh meat....err...I mean new faces :wink:
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
josh

Post by josh »

well we got quite a lot of intrest from the younger dudes at aylesbury the roamin robot event theres another next yr i fink